Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2012 S60 T4 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S60 T4 Transmission Problem

Hi everyone. This is my first ever post to the forum, and I need your help with something. I read on a couple of threads the problems with transmission, and want to check if I have the same thing or not.
I have a problem with my transmission. More or less the problem has to do with noise, and not being smooth as well. I can actually hear the gear changing especially when the car is downshifting from 3 to 2, and 2 to 1. I hear a loud "clank", and feel a slight jerkiness as well. On another note, when I put the car on N, I hear a series of 2 sounds too, with a 3 second gap between both sounds. Note that this happens when I am in automatic mode.

Changing to manual mode is a whole different story, sounds are much much louder, and the jerkiness is more profound. Another thing to note is none of these things happen when the car is started in the morning. I guess when the transmission heats up a bit, all this stuff happens.

Anyways, been to the dealer, with lots of debate on whether the sound exists or not, but finally they gave in. They told me that there is this plastic thing that needs to be changed (they didnt give me any paperwork indicating the type of repair needed or the part that is going to be replaced), and they have already ordered the part and is on its way.

You guys probably have more information than I do, so can anyone tell me what is happening with my car ? Would really appreciate your help guys !!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM

C'mon fellow owners, I need some help desperately. Help me out !

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your car is probably to new for this to have been commonly seen by a dealer never mind here. I would suspect that with you having convinced them that the noise is there (did they say that they have heard the noise?) they checked for service bulletins related to transmission and have found something that matches and are going to do the repair based on that.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 AM

Hi a_garhi:

I'm also almost having the same problems!!!!!! I"m sorry my response is late, but I just saw your thread now while searching for similar complaints about my problem. My car is a 2013 T4 S60, has almost 4000 km on it (Still brand new) and this problem has been there from the 1st day I bought it. I don't feel the rough down or up shifts you discribed, but when I put the gear on N from D, I get this judder and 2 noises like a soft bang.

Going through a couple of car reviews I found out that the S60 gearbox is not smooth during shifting anyway and that wasn't classified as a fault, but more as something that is on the downside of this car, no problem though should cause repairs or anything of that sort, but the soft bang noise is a different story!

Can you give me an update about the situation with your car now? did they fix at the agency? Your name also sounds Egyptian like me, are you?

Best regards