Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2012 Volvo S60 T5 Engine Fails 82k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 Volvo S60 T5 Engine Fails 82k miles

I bought a Certified 2012 Volvo S60 T5 in 2005 from a dealer in Pittsburgh, Pa, with 17/K.

I maintained the car, with all the required service. The car drives runs well, the check engine was on and when I took it for a state inspection, I was
told it had internal engine issues: Mis-firing, no compression on cylinder # 1 and low compress on #2 cylinder.
I was told it's too expensive to repair. It's well under the 100K warranty, with only 82/k miles but over the 5 year warranty period. I was told replacing the engine is not an
option because it will cost 13K even a used engine will not work.

I'm stunned, I planned on keeping the car for years, I want to get at least 200k miles. Volvo Customer Care won't even talk with me. They simply said out of warranty, case closed and
added I WAS NOT VOLVO LOYAL, for not getting my oil changes from Volvo. Keep in mind, I've purchased 3 Volvos. The dealer offered me $ 500.00 for a car that should be worth $ 7,000 Blue Book.

Has anyone else had these type of problems with a Volvo S60 2012 ? Has anyone else been treated as poorly by Volvo Customer Care as I have.been ? They have not supported me at all. Instead of helping they are defensive

I would appreciate any help with resolving this issue. Information on engine problems with the 2012 S60 or other years with the same engine.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Google for service bulletins (TSBs) regarding the 2012 S60s. You may have one of the engines which are known to have premature wear issues on the pistons/rings. The repair would be to replace the short block or pistons/rings which as you'd guess is a very expensive proposition. (I had an engine replaced under warranty for a 2012 VW CC and the cost was $9800 so that's a good ballpark estimate to use). Since you noted your warranty is mileage/time limited you are probably out of luck.

As to what to do next, you probably need to decide whether to drop in a used engine (check car-part.com) or have a shop rebuild yours. If your dealer won't drop in a used engine, simply find an indy Volvo tech and ask for a quote to drop in a replacement engine. Only issue with going used is there's a chance you can wind up with another 2012 engine that has similar compression or oil consumption issues so check for interchange options or perhaps check with a machine shop to see what they'd charge to rebuild the engine.

Next option would be to sell as a "mechanics special" to see if there's someone who is willing to fix the engine on their own. You won't get $7000 for the car but I'd expect more than $500.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The story doesn't add up. You say the car runs and drives well. A car with no compression in one cylinder will not drive well.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Default Runs

Let me clarify. It runs, it putters and misfires at idle, but it still runs at speeds of 55 mph you can't detect the misfires.
I just know the mechanics say No compression cylinder #1 and 50% cylinder #2.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:28 PM
J&S

This is in regards to a vehicle I purchased on March 30, 2021 on Craigslist. It is a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 VIN #YV16622FS4C2056728. When I purchased the car it had 99,489 miles on the odometer and when the vehicle became an issue it was at 104,409 miles on the odometer. On December 1, 2021 I driving the vehicle on the highway and it stalled without warning after almost crashing into the vehicle in front of him. He was able to pull over, start the car back up and drive it home. There were no warning alerts or check engine light that came on the dashboard. Keep in mind that the car had 1,000 miles until the next oil change. After browsing the internet, we realized that the car had a recall because their vehicles were not warning the driver that there was low oil pressure allowing the driver to continue driving until the engine seized (Recall #R29436; National Highway Traffic Safety Administration campaign #13V592000). The recall was repaired by Prestige Auto on 1/2014. I contacted Volvo of North America who opened up a case (case #211203-000423) and then had the car towed to Portland Volvo in Scarborough, Maine for an appointment on December 14, 2021. On December 15, 2021 Portland Volvo informed us that the vehicle’s engine was beyond repair because of an unfortunate mechanical failure due to lack of lubrication. Later that evening I received an email from Jemmy at Volvo of NA stating that they would cover $750 of the repairs. I emailed her back asking her to wait for a quote from Portland Volvo on how much it was going to be to repair the vehicle. On December 16, 2021 I was informed by Portland Volvo that she spoke with the district manager and that a used engine costs between $10-14,000. Volvo of North America has now decided to retract their $750 offer to help because the car is now out of warranty but it was due to a manufacturer's defect. I spoke with Tammy at Prestige Auto (the dealership who fixed the repair) and was told that if the repair was actually fixed then it would have done its due diligence and alerted the driver that there wasn't any oil pressure. I have also read articles on these kinds of issues and it states that a recall is to be repaired until it fixes the issue, and obviously the issue wasnt fixed the first time. I asked for an appeal and without being able to speak to the person who is handling my claim, they sent me an email saying I was denied the appeal and there will be no further response to my email. I was also told by Portland Volvo through email that “Volvo may state that it was known by you since 100,000 miles that there was a mechanical fault and it was driven until the engine failed” but I have over a dozen photos of the dashboard that shows from the time I bought it up until the time the engine seized there weren't any warnings that the car was having a malfunction. I asked her to please have the District Manager look at the photos and explain to me how I could have known that the car was malfunctioning and I have yet to receive an answer. I've asked continuously to speak with supervisors and managers at Portland Volvo and Volvo Cars of North America but have been told that they cannot give me the information for the people who are making the decision. Not only has the car been seen periodically throughout its lifetime at Volvo dealerships but was seen in July 2021 due to two recalls that needed to be fixed at Volvo in Exeter, NH. They did a multi-point inspection on the car and everything passed and only 3,500 miles had been put on the car since. I have been researching this on the internet since this issue occurred and this seems to be an issue with several owners of the 2012 Volvo s60 T5 cars with engine code 62, which mine is.