Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2015 S60 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 S60 questions

Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2015 S60 T6. Overall, I absolutely love the car, but I'm trying to figure out a few things that I've noticed. I went from an 08 Mazda 6, so all of the features are pretty overwhelming, and I don't know much about all of them yet. I will just go ahead and throw it out there by saying that I am not very knowledgeable in regard to the technical aspect of cars. I have a 30 day warranty on everything and am hoping to get everything resolved before that ends. I have three questions total and would greatly appreciate any advice or input.

One of my main problems at the moment is that it seems like the brakes are sticking. Whenever I release the brake pedal after having been stopped for maybe five seconds or longer, the car does not immediately start moving. Once I hit the accelerator, it will jolt pretty hard and then go. This does not happen when I come to a quick stop at a stop sign or something similar. I thought it was maybe the start-stop feature but it is always "unavailable." I also heard something about "Pilot Assist Auto Hold Braking", but I can't seem to find that in the manual or anything about it for this car's year. So, I guess my question is, is this some kind of feature that I'm not realizing, or are the brakes actually sticking and I need to get it looked at by the dealer?

The second issue is that I'm hearing this high-pitched noise that happens when I have the fans going (doesn't matter what speed). It almost sounds like there's a grasshopper in the vents. This isn't a huge deal. I'll be getting that looked at, but I just wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what's causing that.

The third problem is the start-stop. I've read quite a bit on people having issues with it being very intermittent. I've read that it's mainly caused by there not being enough power in the battery for it to pull from to use the feature? I did get a "low battery" warning one day but never saw it again. I'm hoping I can get the dealer to pop in a new battery for me and that'll get it working. Is the battery the likely culprit or is there another deal that I haven't been seeing?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not familiar with the start-stop feature but you should investigate through your dealer why it is always "unavailable". Did you spend time reading through your owner's manual as that is often the first place you should go to familiarize yourself with your car. I don't know what the "pilot assist auto hold braking" does on your Volvo but if you have it then it should clearly be explained in the manual. On one of my non-volvo vehicles, the auto hold braking occurs if I am on a steep incline, take my foot off the brake and start to roll backwards. In that case my vehicle will brake automatically. I can't imagine that the jolt you feel upon taking off is normal. I would suspect one or both brake calipers not releasing properly. You need to have that looked at because that could prove to be a costly fix once your warranty period expires. Same with your blower fan. I had the same high pitched noise in my S60 and it needed to be replaced and that is a very expensive job because of the labor involved. The entire dash needs to come out in order for that blower motor to be replaced. In addition, its possible you have some debris that is caught contributing to that grasshopper you speak of in the vents. Might want to replace the cabin filter as that may be clogged. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a 2015 S60 last night - Had it less than 24hours but I do notice that the Start/Stop button on the panel is lit/engaged but when I look at the settings I see see that it says 'unavailable' and notes that it may be because 'not being enough power in the battery'...really?

I haven't seen this feature work yet in the 3 hours I've driven the car.

Not even sure what the relationship is to the battery and how all that works but am hopeful that it will engage at some point? Is this a problem already?

Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harpersaj
Just bought a 2015 S60 last night - Had it less than 24hours but I do notice that the Start/Stop button on the panel is lit/engaged but when I look at the settings I see see that it says 'unavailable' and notes that it may be because 'not being enough power in the battery'...really?

I haven't seen this feature work yet in the 3 hours I've driven the car.

Not even sure what the relationship is to the battery and how all that works but am hopeful that it will engage at some point? Is this a problem already?
Yeah, mine still does that. I think it's just that the system is trying everything it can to not kill the battery, so it shuts certain stuff off. I'm sure that feature uses a of power. My friend also has a 2015 model and his is "Unavailable" as well. I'm sure it's a common thing.