Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

ABS &brake failure warning + speedo issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS &brake failure warning + speedo issue

hi guys im new to the forum so please bare with me

ok so i just purchased a 2004 volvo s60 2.0t automatic with 116k on the clock

well i got it cheap because of these warning lights there doesnt seem to be any other issues apart from the usual clogged pcv valve,OK so i have a ABS warning light the red light with the (!) next to the handbrake light on and engine management light and brake failure warning,well im pretty sure it must be something electrical because the brakes feel perfect! like the ABS seems to be working and the other thing is occasionally the speedometer randomly stops working or cutting in and out causing it to jump up and down. The thing with the speedo happens rarely but it is all clearly linked

i have a rough idea of what the issue is but id like some of you guys opionions, before anyone sais scan the car for error codes i dont have a code reader that works on this car i am waiting for it being delivered.
i have read that theres wires below the radiator that can corrode i am just wondering if this could have happened? as the radiator was leaking at the bottom right or could it be the abs module im thinking the abs module is the culprit or possible the front right speed sensor?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

you can try "renting" a code reader from Autozone etc or find a friendly Indy that will scan for ABS codes for free - but its always good to have your own code reader (just make sure you check the supported code sets - all do P (power train) codes, but then there are chassis codes (ie SRS) and ABS code sets as well.

I wouldn't speculate on causes but you do have some clues - the wheel speed sensors and the transmission speed sensor all feed into the ABS and onward to the ECU so you could have a simple speed sensor issue (say at a wheel, particularly if some recent brake or suspension work was done or if you have a torn axle boot that threw grease on the inner side of the hub). Also you may have an ABS controller board issue - that was more common in models prior to 2004 but worth reading up on symptoms from sides like XeModex, Midwest ABS and Rocha Tec. The fact that your speedo wonks out says the speed sensor signal is being dropped (which will set a code) so the question is where and which sensor. that's where the fault codes will give you guidance.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
sides like XeModex, Midwest ABS and Rocha Tec.

The fact that your speedo wonks out says the speed sensor signal is being dropped (which will set a code) so the question is where
+1 on xemodex

The speedo gets the speed signal from the abs control unit - if the abs control unit or a wheel sensor has a problem the speedo may not work. In my part of the world my shop has replaced hundreds of bad ABS control units - and maybe 1 wheel sensor due to damaged wiring. But we have no salt corrosion problems here.

It is best to get the Volvo codes (not the generic codes) You will need those when/if you have to sent your abs module off to be fixed. The stolen and hacked factory Volvo service, parts and diagnostic software/manual is easily found. Swedespeed has a download in their OBD section. You will need a dice unit, cheap ones are ~$80, to interface between the obd port on the car and your win7 pro cpu that has VIDA installed. If you own that car - you will need VIDA to be able to diagnose it proficiently.

In this case - you retrieve the codes with VIDA, click on the code and VIDA will give you a list of possible causes and a list of things to check. You don't get just a number as you would with a generic scan tool - as in - Uh--- I got a abs 1426do code - intermittent - what do I do? Vida will suggest where to look and what might be bad -

You can use VIDA without a dice unit for many things, there's a complete parts catalog, wiring diagrams, and replacement instructions (with color pictures!) for many items. There is a learning curve - but it's worth it.

Last edited by hoonk; 09-18-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
+1 on xemodex

The speedo gets the speed signal from the abs control unit - if the abs control unit or a wheel sensor has a problem the speedo may not work. In my part of the world my shop has replaced hundreds of bad ABS control units - and maybe 1 wheel sensor due to damaged wiring. But we have no salt corrosion problems here.

It is best to get the Volvo codes (not the generic codes) You will need those when/if you have to sent your abs module off to be fixed. The stolen and hacked factory Volvo service, parts and diagnostic software/manual is easily found. Swedespeed has a download in their OBD section. You will need a dice unit, cheap ones are ~$80, to interface between the obd port on the car and your win7 pro cpu that has VIDA installed. If you own that car - you will need VIDA to be able to diagnose it proficiently.

In this case - you retrieve the codes with VIDA, click on the code and VIDA will give you a list of possible causes and a list of things to check. You don't get just a number as you would with a generic scan tool - as in - Uh--- I got a abs 1426do code - intermittent - what do I do? Vida will suggest where to look and what might be bad -

You can use VIDA without a dice unit for many things, there's a complete parts catalog, wiring diagrams, and replacement instructions (with color pictures!) for many items. There is a learning curve - but it's worth it.

yeah i have opcom and star and a few others there tools that are extremely usefull and have the opertunity to make some money aswell,i am wondering what is better the vxdiag or the dice clone? they are both around the same price but theres a lot of conflicting information and some places say they are just the same but vxdiag uses its own firmware so as a result doesnt work for cars 2017 and on?

i just want the one that is the best quallity really i look forward to receiving it so i can change some features on the car like anti hijack or something similar i really enjoy doing this with vauxhalls and saabs theres so many features you can activate on GM cars

i have a feeling it is my front left abs sensor because i took the wheel off and gave it a good spray with contact cleaner in the plug then i jet washed around the sensor(as much as i could access) then i reconnected the battery and the light went off for a good while but came back on so its either the sensor or the wiring possibly

i have already asked this but nobody has answered well my auto box goes through all the gears nice and smooth but if i floor it as soon as it gets to 80mph it hangs on to the gear rite up before the red line you have to lift off the accelorator and back on and it changes up smoothly but if you dont it just holds the gear! but if i was to gradually accelorate past 80mph it changes through the gears as normal,could this be linked to the abs? since it may be getting a conflicting speed reading from one wheel compared to the others? btw the gearbox has just been serviced and theres no other issues witht the gearbox it shifts nicely and smoothly and quick enough if you require