ABS and Brakes warning light on - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 AM

Default ABS and Brakes warning light on

Hi All,
2004 S60. Recently I haven't drive my car for about 2 weeks, when I started my car last Friday it seems like the rear brakes stuck due to the rust, so I put heavier accelerator and the car moved but I saw the rear wheels were stucked! I did back and forth a couple times the car finally moved normally. However, the next morning the abs and brakes warning light on, and Brake failure message came on.
I used my car during the weekend, sometimes the warning light off and everything is working perfectly, sometime warning light on and error message come back as well. The weird thing is that the sterling also became very tight when the ABS and brakes warning light on. the odometer is also stopped!
I think it may be a connector that abs or brakes in somewhere was loose or maybe something else... couldn't find a similar posting...
Please help.
Thanks,
Micror
Old 07-15-2017, 09:40 PM

Greetings,

When you used the term sterling were you referring to the steering? If so, it sounds like you may have electric power assist steering, something that I am unfamilar with. Regarding the brakes, I would address that issue first. It sounds like a stuck parking brake that may have come unstuck but the fact that the warning light came on would lead me to either do a visual inspection of the rear brakes or make a trip to a shop to have the inspection done.

Regarding the electrical gremlins I would start with the basics and check to make sure your battery is good and that the connections are clean and tight. Once the battery health has been verified I would either pick up a copy of the VIDA software from Amazon or ebay and see about pulling the codes. That, or head to a shop with access to VIDA to pull the codes for you.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:03 PM

sorry my typo, steering. Thanks, I did the scanning for error code, but there is no error code retrieved. I also checked the battery and charging system, the report shows all normal.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM

Did you scan using an OBDII scanner or VIDA? The standard OBDII scanners you buy at a parts store will typically not show errors related to systems attached to the cars BUS system including brakes and steering.

Did the rear brakes check out?