Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

AC unit not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC unit not working

Hello,

I hope someone can help me out with the following:

The climate control unit on my S60 2001 doesn't fucntion as it should. I bought the car a couple of months ago and since I own it, the CC unit doesn't function correctly

The problems are the following:
1) heating does work, but only when I set the temperature to 26°C or higher.
From 25°C and down, only cold air is blown through. There might be a little change in temperature. Today, while vacuuming the car, quite some dust/fabric parts came out of the hole where the interior temperature sensor is located. I can't test now if the heating works correctly.

2) Switching the AC on, and setting the temperature low, would cause cold air to enter the car. However, the air is not colder than the outside temperature. The CC unit does switch to another mode (the fan stops for a second, the sound of the air blown into the car sounds a little different) but no cold air is available.

Ac unit related fuses are checked and OK (motor compartment and driver side), and I swapped the mini relay of the AC unit with the one of the rear wind screen wiper ( my car has no rear wiper, so the relay should be as new).

The multi belt does rotate the AC unit's "wheel", also when the AC is activated.

Has onyone an idea what I can check next?

Thanks for your help.

Wolfert

Old 05-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

I'd start under the hood - turn the temps to full cold on the climate control and see if you can hear or see the AC compressor clutch engage. Next feel the AC lines - there should be a metal line on the left side of the engine up by the firewall that feeds down to the compressor which should feel cold when running properly. The low pressure sensor is on this line as well. If the AC kicks on for a bit (ie the "wheel" being the clutch) but then stops, it could be due to a low refridgerant charge. Try pulling off the connector for the low pressure sensor and jumper the two leads (ie via a paper clip) to see if the clutch engages. If so you may need to get a recharge (you can also measure with an AC pressure gauge - the good recharge kits include one). Its possible a temp sensor could be bad - you'd need to do that by disconnecting and measuring resistance with an ohm meter. An easier way is to see if you have heat when on full hot and AC when on full cold as the sensor may just be out of range vs open or short circuited. Does the blower work properly? ie can you set to manual to run it through all its speeds? There's a ballast resistor on the older 850/S70s that can go so the fan only works on some settings - not sure if your model has that design. Do you have any other odd things like engine temp gauge wandering or cooling fan running on? Do you get any blinking lights on the climate control when starting up or selecting extreme settings?

Old 05-05-2015, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI,

Thank you for your reply, it is most welcome
Unfortunately, I don't have time to check it until the coming weekend.
I'll post my findings when I've done so. I'm looking forwar to do it!

Problem number one is solved, the particles did isolate the thermometer.

Best regards,

Wolfert