Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade

I am thinking about upgrading all the speakers in my 03 s60. It has the two front, rear door, and rear deck speakers. Anyone done this before and have good suggestions? Also, will I need component speakers for the front since the tweeters are seperate?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM

I went looking for aftermarket stuff for my 04 s60, and man there are a ton of speakers in the car. You're probably gonna need an amp and all that good stuff. I just ended up getting a pioneer deck and kept my old speakers, sounds great. Sometimes just a new head unit and amp is all you need to make it sound great! Good luck in your choices! I recommend crutchfield.com

Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 AM

Which model head unit did you get? How complicated was the installation? I would like to replace the existing unit in our 2007 S60, but am a little concerned about doing it myself.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM

I am by no means an expert at re-wiring things on cars. But I must say it was actually super easy to take out the old unit, and installing the new unit. If you go through crutchfield.com they give you step by step instructions for your vehicle. And offer wiring harnesses for your particular model. Here is the one I got: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P600...wAll=N&tp=5684 You get some installation parts for free. I bought this particular one because it has a ipod connector which plugs into the back of the unit and plays ipod music. Great sound. Easy install, definitely recommended.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 AM

I am looking for the iPod function, too. Did you get the adapter for factory steering wheel audio controls also?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM

unfortunately for my car I lost the audio controls on my steering wheel. I never really used mine anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. They make harnesses for certain cars to keep your steering wheel controls working. But just not for mine. The Ipod function is pretty awesome on this unit. The only thing is on these units that have Ipod connectivity; you have to control the ipod functions on the faceplate itself. It actually plays the computer files as opposed to some AUX hookups which just play as if the stereo were headphones. So the quality is awesome.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by derekkoop
unfortunately for my car I lost the audio controls on my steering wheel. I never really used mine anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. They make harnesses for certain cars to keep your steering wheel controls working. But just not for mine. The Ipod function is pretty awesome on this unit. The only thing is on these units that have Ipod connectivity; you have to control the ipod functions on the faceplate itself. It actually plays the computer files as opposed to some AUX hookups which just play as if the stereo were headphones. So the quality is awesome.
I'm just curious as to how you now access the control that the factory deck allows you access too... or do you lose that ability.. It's not like I ever change them anyway, but I wondered if you lose those controls. Also, are you able to take a picture of the setup? I'm curious to see how it looks! Thanks!!

j.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Well on my car I had the HU 613 I believe which was a single disk and everything on that panel had to do with the stereo, So you take out that entire panel and the kit I ordered came with a flat panel with just a big enough cutout for the new unit. I will take a pic tomorrow and try and post it. It looks pretty clean. I will say the panel that has the cutout doesn't match the color perfect, but it still looks pretty clean.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by derekkoop
Well on my car I had the HU 613 I believe which was a single disk and everything on that panel had to do with the stereo, So you take out that entire panel and the kit I ordered came with a flat panel with just a big enough cutout for the new unit. I will take a pic tomorrow and try and post it. It looks pretty clean. I will say the panel that has the cutout doesn't match the color perfect, but it still looks pretty clean.

Ahaaahh, that explains a lot, see I have a 06 volvo S40 and our deck system is such a pain in the ***, I'm not even sure you can do an after market deck with it..

Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 AM
ICE

Will this work on my 1998 C70 ?

it all looks very confusing !