Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad sputtering at idle, goes away with higher RPM.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad sputtering at idle, goes away with higher RPM.

Got an issue with my sisters car.

She drives a 2002 S60T 2.4L. Now, she says that the car has been sputtering at idle and it go's away when she gets on the gas.
My immediate though was possibly the the fuel filter but then remembered this car is almost 12 years old and then my thoughts jumped to the fuel pump.

I'm very uneducated with Volvo's but know my way around cars and trucks, I'm mainly a Jeep guy.

Any thoughts from you guys would be much appreciated! And if it is the pump, which would be the best product? This is her daily driver and I don't want her getting stranded with her daughter in the Vegas summer heat from some crap AutoZone part.

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM

If its sputtering at idle, the ETM or electronic throttle body could be a culprit. Is it throwing a check engine light? any codes? I'd clean that out and see if it helps at all. The fuel filter is really easy to replace its just a couple of quick fit connectors if you decide to do that.

Fuel pump access panel is under the rear seat and you'll have to remove the seat back as well . Get a fuel pressure test gauge and test fuel pressures before replacing the pump.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:54 PM

@Capthook- I'll clean the throttle body and hook it to a comp. fuel filter is replaced and didn't see any difference. I'll grab a fuel pressure gauge and take your advice. Thanks

Well we hooked it up to a computer and it's throwing codes that cylinder 4&5 aren't sparking. I havnt been able to look at it but her BF replaced the plugs and that didn't help. Going to look at it Monday and see if there's spark to the plugs and check for damage. Praying this isn't going to be a head gasket issue.
You guys have any thoughts?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:05 PM

My car was doing the same replaced both O2s and fuel filter no help, took it to the dealer and they replaced one of the coils and plugs and car runs great. No sputtering/bucking at idle. If you try coil recommend getting Bosch from FCPeuro, best price I have found.