Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Bendix for rotors/brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bendix for rotors/brakes?

I have a 2001 S60 2.4T

I need to do some repairs on my car. I have a new mechanic that was introduced to me by family as a good guy as my old mechanic (one of that back shop ones) was overcharging me A LOT ($30 for a simple oil change while having to buy the filter and oil).

I was however told by this mechanic that when I replace the brakes to use only brakes bought from the volvo dealer because anything else will sound like hell.

This new mechanic says I can use made for volvo off brand brakes and they won't squeal. He said the autozone ones would, which is what the other guy said as well but the other guy said ANY would except volvo. On top of that, since I now need rotors as well as pads the price is getting to me. I'm low on cash and when I called volvo just to see how much the brakes would cost they said $95. This guy can get me both the off brand brakes and rotors from $100 dollars. He says volvo is in part so high because they charge estimated retail price and that he orders directly from a warehouse so there's no overheard being charged, just shipping.

The brand he suggested is bendix (I think that's how it's spelled). Is he right? If bendix is bad can I use another off brand? He said there were others but recomended this brand because they are silicon brakes. He said a lot of other stuff too, but I don't remember every single thing (talked to me for like 40 mins while going over options and checking my car). He seems knowledgeable and fair. Only charging $30 to but them on too. Should I get this brand?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silicon brakes? Never heard of such a thing. Maybe your mechanic meant silicone brake fluid? If that is the case do not use silicone brake fluid---EVER. The reason being silicone brake fluid is not compatible with your vehicle's braking system (ABS).
Now as for compatible brake rotors and pads, there are many brands available for your model, and I am sure you will be receiving aftermarket alternatives from users of these forums very soon.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J. A. Higgins
Silicon brakes? Never heard of such a thing. Maybe your mechanic meant silicone brake fluid? If that is the case do not use silicone brake fluid---EVER. The reason being silicone brake fluid is not compatible with your vehicle's braking system (ABS).
Now as for compatible brake rotors and pads, there are many brands available for your model, and I am sure you will be receiving aftermarket alternatives from users of these forums very soon.
I think he might of said ceramic, not silicone. XD
I'm sorry.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aethera
I think he might of said ceramic, not silicone. XD
I'm sorry.
AutoZone and Advanced Auto like stores rotors and break pads for daily driving is Fine. The Ome from Volvo are Zimmerman or Brembo witch are a high quality rotor but not a must. Many people use After market for the same reason you are The Volvo Price. Ceramic pads are fine .. I also look at your car measure the size of you rotors before you buy them. That year came with 11" and 12"..
Make sure that you Google how to break in your new pads and rotors. This will help with any issues later.
Take a look at OEM, Genuine & Aftermarket Replacement Car Parts Online | FCP Euro in most cases they can not be beat for price and shipping is very fast.. GL

Last edited by MYS6T; 02-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.