Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blower Motor Wont Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM
T95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor Wont Shut Off

Hi,
My 2001 S60 just developed a new problem. The interior climate motor started running continuously with ignition off. Wifes car, she parked it and of course came back to a dead battery. I pulled the fuse for a quick fix.

So my initial thought was that this was due to a bad Relay. I spent a couple hours researching this problem, and could not find any specific relay to control the climate Control system. So yesterday I took the time to pull all of them/with the exception of a few of the smaller relays in the trunk. Bottom line- No Love, the blower motor continued to run.

Researched every thread on the subject this morning and am leaning towards replacing the Resistor again, [ I did replace the heater resistor within the last year or two.]

A couple of threads stated the Climate control Module could be faulty.
Any Thoughts on how best to isolate and trouble shoot by problem are appreciated!?

Is there a dedicated relay for the Climate Control, if so where is it located?

Does my car have both a heater resistor and climate control Modual?

Also my issue of Vida has expired so I cant access any of the information

Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 AM
T95
Default Still Stumped

Anyone out there?
I know this is a common enough problem to have solid solutions. One big issue I had in researching this topic was that repair advice was given but then the original poster never got back to say if it worked. Also some confusion on using the correct terminology for parts, myself included.

MY understanding is:
Relays generally live on or near fuse panels/ ECM and are use to switch bigger loads.

The heater resistor is used to control fan speed. Does this unit also act as a relay which has 12v going to it regardless of key position?

Then there is heater module which I see used to describe what looks like a newer style resister with blade type cooling, or the entire heater control panel.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM
T95

I see this thread has been viewed 109 times without reply. Still hoping someone can help shed some light on the possible cause and cure for this problem.
thanks!

Old 02-19-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by T95
I see this thread has been viewed 109 times without reply. Still hoping someone can help shed some light on the possible cause and cure for this problem.
thanks!
Well were in luck, I just bought a 2004 S60 with the same problem. Just started troubleshooting. You said you were able to unplug a fuse for the air conditioner fan?

Old 02-20-2020, 11:33 PM
T95

Originally Posted by daninater
Well were in luck, I just bought a 2004 S60 with the same problem. Just started troubleshooting. You said you were able to unplug a fuse for the air conditioner fan?
daninater,
So I just received an email that you posted to my two year old post about the heater motor running. Funny stuff!

So as you saw no one replied, so I didn't see any reason to respond with my fix. It has been a while, but I believe the heater is controlled by the resistor/ relay unit that bolts to the motor. The part is relatively cheep, $21-$60 and figure three hrs labor the first time around. And yes, this fix did the trick!

I just found this link that shows the removal and installation:
Not a hard job just a bit tedious getting at a couple of the T25 mounting bolts, especially the back right. I found using a 3/8 drive and a flex shaft made it really easy to get at the hidden T25.
The part is easy to source by mail! Good luck, let me know if it did the trick!

Old 02-23-2020, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the response and not making me wait two years lIke you had to. I’m diving in now.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:43 AM
T95
Default Keep it Going!

Originally Posted by daninater
Thanks for the response and not making me wait two years lIke you had to. I’m diving in now.
dan, Thank you for the response. Really good to hear you solved your problem and hope the post was able to help. If not just humor me and say it did! Ha!