Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Brake Failure Warning Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Failure Warning Fix?

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend.

We have a 2001 Volvo S60 2.4t

I'm trying to get the kinks worked out of this car so my daughter can drive it safely as she just got her license. We're having a couple issues, but the one that concerns me the most is we get an error every couple weeks "brake failure, pull over ASAP". I end up having to disconnect the negative terminal to the battery, etc... I bought a new battery hoping that would fix the problem, which I read on here, it didn't. If anything it's happening more often now.

I know this topic has come up a few times in here but most of the posts are a little older and I haven't found one where someone found a DIY solution. So I wanted to revive it in hopes that there has been a solution found. Anyone know how to fix this? I really don't have the money to take the car to the shop or else I definitely would.

Thanks again for the help,

Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Without the codes, you can't do much besides guess, which will cost more than a proper diagnosis. Volvo has free diagnosis at many dealerships.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES6T
Without the codes, you can't do much besides guess, which will cost more than a proper diagnosis. Volvo has free diagnosis at many dealerships.
Which volvo dealerships are you referring to, because nothing is for free. lol If it's a loyal customer, yes.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

It's free if they participate in Volvo Service Advantage

Old 11-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Do you know if it's atleast safe to drive until repaired?

Thanks for the help

Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

The ABS function and traction control may not work properly, but regular braking should be unaffected.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Could just be the brake fluid level sensor, or and ABS sensor.
but it should be "safe" to drive the car, but you might not have the ABS function.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM

A failure at a critical moment could be fatal. I most certainly not let anyone drive it...except my ex!In a MVA, should your "blackbox" be read. You may not be covered by insurance due to negligence.

Last edited by pyro71; 11-13-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by pyro71
A failure at a critical moment could be fatal. I most certainly not let anyone drive it...except my ex!In a MVA, should your "blackbox" be read. You may not be covered by insurance due to negligence.

Well ****, don't like hearing that, thanks though.

What sucks is I can't find anyone within 1 1/2 hours away to even look at it as no mechanic where I live works on Volvo's. It's nuts, do these cars suck that bad to work on that not even local import mechanics will look at it? lol, it's crazy.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

I have no idea why some shops are afraid to work on Volvos. They aren't complicated.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea why some shops are afraid to work on Volvos. They aren't complicated.
Because volvos are hard to work with, requires more time expected depending on the matter. Believe me I've seen it all. From a car that got struck by lighting and some side shop tried to fix it leaving all the modules outs. Lol from trying to figure out what's wrong with a radio and cutting the most network. Doing a timing belt and having the wrong tensioner installed. etc... They can be intimidating. Like the new 4 cylinders, some techs are intimidated at first. Plus most sideshows don't have the special tools.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

They are not hard to work on for most jobs.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 AM

imo volvo's aren't bad to work on, most parts are easy to service.
and all shops should be able to do brake work, if they can't do that, then they shouldn't call themselves mechanics :P

Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by pyro71
Pyro, just wanted to clarify something. Are you stating it's seriousness based on not having anti-lock brakes in a situation where you may need them, or is it because this electronic anomaly can prevent the brakes from working completely at any given moment?

This is of course based on the apparent likely hood of the issue being related to the ABS module.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

It will not cause the regular brakes to not function, just the anti-lock function.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM

It will not cause the regular brakes to not function, just the anti-lock function.
Right on, thanks for the help.

I finally found someone to look at it, but they charge $110 per hour, lol, wow. It sucks to think he's gonna throw that 110 at me and just tell me pretty much what I already know (I'm assuming), but I guess I don't really have a choice.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by inkstaind318
Pyro, just wanted to clarify something. Are you stating it's seriousness based on not having anti-lock brakes in a situation where you may need them, or is it because this electronic anomaly can prevent the brakes from working completely at any given moment?

This is of course based on the apparent likely hood of the issue being related to the ABS module.
I'll tell you what happened to me recently. I was getting abs and traction control warning. I went to turn left into traffic in a intersection and the engine cut out leaving me in the intersection. If traffic was coming fast and I darted out to make it through when the engine cut because of traction control. I could have been t-boned and seriously injured..or killed. This problem i had was serious but I didn't realize it. Ended up being a broken reluctor ring.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

That wasn't the reason your car stalled.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:35 PM

That wasn't the reason your car stalled.
It's my understanding that traction control will cut power going to drive wheels if slippage is detected. Please tell me if I am wrong and explain the cause of no power when traction control dummy light is flashing along with spin control/abs warning.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

You said the engine cut out. The traction control does not kill the engine.

If you had to mash the gas to make the turn and spun the wheels, maybe you shouldn't have made the turn. Trying to speed through can cause wheel slip in any car. Driving like that will get you killed- not the traction control.

Quick Reply: Brake Failure Warning Fix?