Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Brake lights won't work after replacing bulbs and fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights won't work after replacing bulbs and fuse

A few weeks ago my brake light warning came on, but all 3 lights were working correctly, so I shrugged it off. My brake lights have since gone out, so I replaced them. However, the lights still don't light up when I push the pedal. The center light works just fine. I went ahead and replaced the brake light fuse (Fuse 3 in the trunk fuse panel), but that didn't fix it either.

The connections don't look corroded or oxidized at all, and I checked the bulbs by plugging them into the rear fog light socket.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some info that I found...I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a read.

The stop lamps are in the tail lamps. The lamps light when the stop lamp switch on the brake pedal is closed. The stop lamp switch is connected to the central electronic module (CEM). The signal from the stop lamp switch is sent on to the rear electronic module (REM) via a hardwired cable. The power supply for the lamps is via a directly connected relay on the rear electronic module (REM). In order for the stop lamps to work when the ignition is not on, there is no logic in the rear electronic module (REM) to activate the relay. The relay is activated directly by the signal from the stop lamp switch. The rear electronic module (REM) receives data via the controller area network (CAN) from the central electronic module (CEM) indicating that the stop lamp switch is activated.

In order to detect faults in the stop lamps, the rear electronic module (REM) detects the power consumption in the lamp circuit using a directly connected shunt. If the power consumption falls below a certain limit, a fault is indicated and a text message is displayed in the driver information module.

High level stop lamp (V70/V70XC/XC70/XC90)

There is a high-mounted stop (brake) lamp on the inside of the rear windshield. This lamp lights during braking together with the standard stop lamps. The stop lamp is activated when the stop lamp switch on the brake pedal is closed.

The high mounted stop lamp is supplied with power directly from the rear electronic module (REM). The lamp consists of a number of LEDs.

There are diagnostics for the high level stop lamp.