Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

bulb position failure message.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bulb position failure message.

my message screen shows the message "bulb position failure" and i do not know what this means. i am new to volvo, and i am not sure where to find the meanings of the messages or how to go about getting it reset.

also it says that it is time for regualr service, but i just had the oil changed, and it is like it just needs to be turned off, doi have to go to a dealership for this?
thank you

Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bulb msg is letting you know you have a light out somewhere on your car. And the service reminder light can be shut off at home but I can't remember the procedure to do it off the top of my head. I'll get it for you when I get off work if nobody has chimed in by then.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:51 PM

thank you so much. i am going to find out today what light is out!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The method for the '02+
MY 2002+
The service reminder indicator (SRI) informs the driver that it is time for the car to be serviced. The text message is displayed for 120 s each time the ignition is switched on.
Proceed as follows to reset the service reminder indicator (SRI):
-Ignition position I
-Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
-Ignition position II.
Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds.
-Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset.
Note! For all vehicles from the 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.
-Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
-If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
Note! If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.

Let me know if this works for you.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by volvos60laura
my message screen shows the message "bulb position failure" and i do not know what this means. i am new to volvo, and i am not sure where to find the meanings of the messages or how to go about getting it reset.

also it says that it is time for regualr service, but i just had the oil changed, and it is like it just needs to be turned off, doi have to go to a dealership for this?
thank you
The "bulb position failure" for me is always the rear lens..left or right side...top position bulb. Access through the trunk...very simple. Sometimes the bulb is not even burnt out and a simple wiggle of the housing causes it to come back on.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Default 1 yr

I have had my 01 for about a year and it says that, that bulb is out as well. I have had my dealership literally tear my car up and down to find the bulb, they say that the bulb inst out and shouldn't be coming up. I do agree there should be away to just shut it off!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 PM

I had this problem that was very intermittent. The warning message would come up, but when I checked around the car, all the bulbs looked fine, blinkers blinked and brake lights both worked fine.

I just happened to catch one of the rear lights blink off and back on one day when I happened to be outside the car talking to someone. I removed and cleaned the bulb contacts with fine sandpaper and the problem has not reappeared in many months so far. It was one of the small twin bulbs in the rear cluster. The bulb harness is very easy to remove for cleaning & bulb maintenance. (Use the little turn know by the fold down seat release.)

Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 AM

thank you thank you thank you! i am going to try these tips as soon as i get off work today! yall are great!