Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabin Air Filter Replacement

I responded with this same info about changing the cabin air filter in you both the S60 and V70 (2001 & up) vehicles........the cabin air filter access and the filter is the same in both model vehicles. Unless your repair shop has already done this in the last year or so, I would pull the cabin air filter and replace it. I just did it on my V70 and S60 vehicles and found the filters VERY dirty......the V70 eveh had pieces of leaves that fell out. All the air you breathe when the heater or A/C is on goes through these filters and they were pretty black colored. Buy the filter from AdvanceAutoParts or other discount auto parts store or discount online......some of the climate control systems require the charcoal activated filters and those are more expensive. But I paid $19.95 for the regular electricstatic units instead of the same type filter at my Volvo Dealer which wanted $45 even after my 15% discount (the charcoal ones are $60-something). It's easy to replace these filters other than having to bend your body on the left side through the door opening and up under the front passenger foot area! You need a Torx wrench set to unscrew the two bolts on the upper kick panel and then a smaller Torx size for the four little screws that hold the cover on of the air filter box (I use a small rachet set). I plan to now change them every 12k miles or once a year.........filters are cheap and takes about 15-20 minutes to do the procedure, especially after you learn how to do it the first time.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you notice a difference in the air quality? I've read that others that did the same thing could tell it was a big difference. At the least I'm sure it makes the whole system breath a little easier.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by nalonge
Did you notice a difference in the air quality? I've read that others that did the same thing could tell it was a big difference. At the least I'm sure it makes the whole system breath a little easier.
Yes, it did seem to smell fresher............in fact, my daughter had complained to me that she smelled an odor after she bought her car last month and now detects the improvement after I changed the filter.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Default Thanks for the info...

....could you please post a few digiphotos if you get the chance? Or is it a pretty straightforward procedure?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by improviz
....could you please post a few digiphotos if you get the chance? Or is it a pretty straightforward procedure?
It's really a very straight forward procedure...........if you look up under the front passenger foot area you will see the two torx screws that hold the panel up......you then just pull it out but need to pull the right front corner down from its insert area. Then you can see the flat black plate, about 3"x8", held in place with four small torx screws......one at each corner. The bottom of the filter will then be exposed and you wiggle it out and down. I can't take any photos now since I've already completed the replacement fllter on my two Volvos. If any questions when you try it, just post it and I'll respond or PM me.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM

Don't forget about the trim on the tunnel by the shift lever. You need to remove this first so you can pull down the kick panel after unscrewing the 2 torx screws.

Use a dime to turn the lock (90 degrees) that hold it in place and pull just a little and slide to the left.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by redz1006
Don't forget about the trim on the tunnel by the shift lever. You need to remove this first so you can pull down the kick panel after unscrewing the 2 torx screws.

Use a dime to turn the lock (90 degrees) that hold it in place and pull just a little and slide to the left.
I did remove that left piece of trim when I installed the air filter on my V70.......that was the first time I had installed a cabin air filter so I was more cautious about loosening everything up. But didn't need to remove that left panel when I installed the filter in the S60........there was enough wiggle room to just pull the panel back away from that trim piece before pulling it out......and also reinsert it. So, guess it depends on how tight that left trim piece.......it does seem to have enough play to not require removing. The most difficult spot was the right-front corner of the kick panel......didn't know at first whether there was a screw holding it in place or not......but realized it was just held in by pressure. So, if you angle the kick panel to the left and insert it behind the far back left trim piece and then push the panel straight back and up, and then push the front right corner into its slot, it goes into place just dandy.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:15 PM

I have been meaning to do this, and now is the time. I'm going to find a filter online now.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Found it at my local auto zone.

I think I have to special order for the Volvo. I only checked online.

Last edited by CASS60; 07-15-2009 at 10:05 PM.