Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can anyone give me tips on using a cam and a crank locking tool and changing lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone give me tips on using a cam and a crank locking tool and changing lifters?

Hi I need to change lifters or add shims to the cam lifters [2002 s60 w/2.4 turbo motor]. I think that's what making my motor noisy. It has a loud clicking noise. while it's apart I also want to change the water pump on the chance it could be the water pump making the noise, check the timing hubs and replace the timing belt. I bought a cam and crank locking tool kit on ebay, this one is the same as a volvo dealer would use. I paid extra to get instructions as I never used one before but all it said was that it was the same number tools as volvo uses. Anyone used one of these kits? it comes with a angled L shape plate[ I guess to hold crank? ,two weird Y shaped things about 8"-10" long that can be tightened down, a solid metal thing about 4
" long that has a handle you can turn on the side, the cam locking tool and bolts and what I think are extensions to lengthen it if it needs to be deeper to reach the cams. I could use some advice on using the tools and doing the work. Thanks

Old 05-03-2023, 11:57 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotim23
Hi I need to change lifters or add shims to the cam lifters [2002 s60 w/2.4 turbo motor]. I think that's what making my motor noisy.
Adjusting the valves is not a simple task. It's not a common practice on these engines - and usually only done during a valve job. It's much easier to do in a machine shop setting or at least with the head off the car. The problem is measuring the clearances - you can't do it with the cam cover on, so you will need some homemade tools to hold the cams down to be able to measure. If you've not done this type of job before - you run the risk of bending valves - so I would tread very lightly in that direction.

You might want to diagnose your problem before guessing at solutions. Sorry

Last edited by hoonk; 05-04-2023 at 12:30 AM.