Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't find VVT/cam seal thread I saw before.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find VVT/cam seal thread I saw before.

Back in June, I bought a 2003 S60 2.4 non-turbo. It had 97K miles so I the first thing I looked for on the internet was the timing belt replacement procedure. I found several and saw a related thread on what I thought was this message board that explained the process of successfully pulling the camshaft sprockets and precise instructions on how to remove the old cam seals, replace the new ones with a sleeve that was for a Dodge I believe, and lots of info. on what not to do due to the VVT mechanism. Well, I have searched for hours again on here and several other sites and cannot find that valuable thread anywhere. It may not have been posted in the S60 section, but I'm pretty sure the thread said the info applied to the S60 as well.

Does that thread sound familiar to anybody? If it does, do you know where it is? I bought the cam locking tool to make sure I didn't screw up the cam sprocket removal and reinstall.

Thanks for any direction anybody can provide in tracking down that thread.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM

I don't know what thread you are referring to, but I just rebuilt the motor on our 2001 S60. The only hard part is breaking the bolt loose on the vvt to remove it. You only need to remove it if you're going to replace that seal. What company did you buy the tool from? The tool I bought wouldn't hold the cam while breaking the vvt bolt loose. I think it torques to 90 ft/lbs.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Yeah, the timing belt kit I purchased has the two cam seals as well as a new crankshaft seal. Don't know if I will do the crankshaft seal, but wanted to do the cam seals while I am in there. I bought the tool and three others off of Ebay from a guy in Clarksburg, WV who fabricates them. The tools also work on an 850.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM

There should be two cam seals on the front and one on the rear. The cam with the black cover on the rear doesn't have a seal. You will need a new cover since you have to drive a screwdriver in the center of the old one to get it out to mount the cam-holder tool.