Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

car won't start, remote doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation car won't start, remote doesn't work

hi all,
freshman for volvo though ever drove a 240 for two yrs
anyway, need some advice badly~~~
my car: 01 volvo s60 2.4t; with only one key (master) left
situation: i just ran the car for the whole morning and left it in the parking lot (1pm). but when i tried to start it at night (7pm) it won't work: doors has no response when i push ''unlock" button; after i open the door by metal key, it won't start the car as there's pretty fast tick-tick sounds (but the sounds disappeared when i tried on Sunday to start the car). my friends who worked with car parts (didn't see the car) told me that it might because of the battery of either the car or the key or both, but i just confused that if it was the battery of the car why i can't even use remote to open the door~~~
so what should i do first: a jump starter? a new button battery? go to the dealer anyway for programming the key and $$$ (which i hate the most)?

Last edited by lrorld; 11-09-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 AM
RGT

you can't use the remote to unlock the doors if the car battery is dead, the power to unlock the doors is provided by the car battery, your key just sends the signal. I would jump start it and check to see that the charging system is working and if so see what is causing your battery to go dead. Check the fluid in the battery. It could be that you have a bad battery and it is not holding a charge, but check everything out before replacing it. Many people replace the battery first only to find they are in the same situation a day or so later...

Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 AM

you have an 01 - time for a new battery was 4 or 5 years ago... and if it was replaced 4 years ago its time for another.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jump the car off and take it to the local Auto Parts House.

Most will check your battery and charging system right in the lot for you.

If the battery is bad they will install it at no charge and dispose of the old battery for you too.

If it's the charging system take it to your dealer, unless you can change out the alternator yourself. They may even have it in stock.

Good luck
DMac

Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 PM

called AAA last night
battery and charging system are both good, just confused why the battery dried out last saturday
anyway, runs fine today.
however, got another message today"coolant level lo, stop engine"/"coolant level lo, stop safely asap"
is that serious or not?
is there any specific kind of coolant should be used on 01 S60?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
JP

Use 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze. I choose Peak brand myself. Fill it up and see how long until and if it gets low again.