Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing the Timing Belt on our '07 S60. Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Timing Belt on our '07 S60. Any Advice?

I have Vadiis. I have the European hardback helms manual. I have a fair amount of experience working on cars (I have a highly modified STI - I did all the work). I've watched the youtube videos. I've read through countless posts on here. I have all the parts and too many tools .

This weekend I will be changing the timing belt, tensioner, idler, and water pump on our 2007 S60 with 105,000 miles.

If anyone has any specific advice in relation to this car ... for someone who has never done an S60 Volvo Timing Belt before - please let me know. Just figured that I would ping the community before attacking it this weekend. I'm also going to do the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, serpentine belt, oil change, tranny flush, pollen filter .... ALL of which I have done before.on this car. Yes, I'm using the correct tranny fluid (already done it 3 times on this car) .

Tim

Old 04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Default Cool!

waiting for a step-by-step tutorial. Thanks a lot.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by newyan
waiting for a step-by-step tutorial. Thanks a lot.
Doubt that I will create a step by step - although, that said, I imagine it would be really useful. Maybe I'll take my camera out to the garage and see how it goes. I've made tutorials many times before with regard to other vehicles that I am interested in. But, I wasn't going to take the time to do it for the wife's S60. But - I might

t

Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Only advise I can give is mark the pulleys in relation to the top of the motor before removing the belt. It will make it alot easier going back together.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Everything is done. Wife is driving the car right now ... going to get the fam some dinner

Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Oil Change + Filter
Spark Plugs
6qts Toyota T-IV tranny fluid (yes, it's a JWS 3309 lubricant and is the same as Mobil 3309 as proven by BITOG)
Timing Belt
Timing Belt tensioner
Timing Belt idler pulley
Water Pump
Serpentine Belt
Flushed the cooling system

I did not do a writeup. I just wanted to get this all done. A couple quick notes though ....

1) I did NOT remove the crank pulley. I tried, but my wimpy 2.6 scfm compressor couldn't feed my Ingersol-Rand 600lb-ft gun enough to get the nut off. I was going to make a tool to hold the pulley in order to do it manually but but decided to give it a try without removing the crank pulley. It worked. Its a tight fit and it made the installation a little more difficult but its totally doable. I had to remove the little skinny plastic cover by the crank (toward the front of the car) and held on by two 10mm bolts.

2) The factory mark on the cam pulleys is freaking TINY! At first I couldn't find it. It's not colored on my car at all. It was simply a very tiny engraved mark ... very tiny. I marked that engraving to get it to stand out AND I marked the old belt while it was still installed. I also marked the cogged crank pulley and put a matching mark on the block. In this manner I could ensure that when removing the belt with the cams straight up, that I could absolutely know the crank's position at that point.

3) I made 2 very tiny dots on the new timing belt that matched up with the marks on the old timing belt that I made when it was installed. This facilitated installation.

4) It was a pain getting the belt installed with the crank pulley still on - not because of the pulley being in the way. I payed attention to how I removed it so putting it back in was easy. But, getting the belt on the correct crank sprocket nubs required patience. Totally would be easier with the crank pulley off. I LIGHTLY clamped the exhaust pulley to the belt and used the exhaust pulley to help create more slack in the area of the water pump. I barely was able to get the belt over the new water pump sprocket. But yay. Done. Two rotations later everything lined up as I was hoping (cams, tiny dots on new belt with cams, crank sprocket to block mark).

5) I think I almost had more pain installing the serpentine belt. For future reference to myself, I looped the CRANK pulley last and I did it from under the car while using the tools under the car on the tensioner.

6) As expected, since I drained the cooling system, I got warnings during my test drive about low coolant. Got it twice. Wife just got home and didn't have anymore.

t

Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

congrats!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Yep, Serpentine is a pain in the butt. I've had it off and on many times and always struggled with it.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Everything still good. Car's running awesome!