Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

check engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine codes

I've been getting a check engine message every 200-250 miles lately. I thought it was just the gas, as I sometimes get a gas cap warning and it goes off after I refuel with premium. But lately it's been a code 0453 EES:Evap. Emmis. Sys. & 0455 EES leak detected (gross leak) which comes back every time. Where do I start looking for this? I'm 150 mi. from the nearest Volvo dealer. Thanks, JP

Old 04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Default RE: check engine codes

P0455 indicates a fuelvapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system. It means a large leak has been detected. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine. Youprobability won't notice any drivability problems.

A code P0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
[ul]A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system.[/ul]
Possible solutions:
the most commonrepair is to:
[ul]Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, anddrive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary.[/ul]
P0453 could be showing because of the above. However, a further check for this one is the EVAP pressure sensor.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Default RE: check engine codes

Thanks Bill,
That gives something to start on, I forgot to mention I have an '01 S60 nonturbo automatic. It's been a sweet car so far.
JP

'64 544
'67 124S
'68 142 (off road)
'69 164 (off road)
'91 240
'01 S60

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by billofdurham
P0455 indicates a fuelvapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system. It means a large leak has been detected. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine. Youprobability won't notice any drivability problems.

A code P0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
[ul]A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system.[/ul]
Possible solutions:
the most commonrepair is to:
[ul]Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, anddrive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary.[/ul]
P0453 could be showing because of the above. However, a further check for this one is the EVAP pressure sensor.

Any idea where is the J-hose and EVAP valve located? Is it possible to do-it yourself job?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 AM

On the S60, the cannister, J-hose, and controlling solenoid are located in the absolute most inaccessable location on the car. Between the floor pan and the top of the rear suspension housing. According to the Haynes manual, you need to jack up the rear of the car, remove the exhaust from the Cat back (from the flange in front of the middle muffler all the way to the tail pipe including a stiffener brace by the middle tailpipe), then the rear muffler heat shield ( some nuts plus drilling out some rivets), then you can blindly reach some bolts holding on the cannister that has the J-hose, purge solenoid and connecting hoses attached to the cannister.

Now you know why I've been procrastinating changing my J-hose as well. I guess depending on how confident you are as a mechanic, it is a do it yourself job, but definitely more skill than changing oil.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:25 PM

You do not need to remove the exhaust completely. Just remove from the hangers and push it down out of the way (with rear of car lifted). THen you must remove the heat shield that is above the muffler. You need a telescopic mirror and light to check where the J hose normally cracks, which is on the left side of the canister by the pinch clamp and on the very top of the hose where you cant see.

If the hose is ok, it could be a cracked/dry rotted sealing ring on the gas cap, failed pressure relief valve in the gas cap, purge valve, or the evap leak detection pump. Of course you can not test these without a dealer VIDA cart.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM

Where is the purge solenoid on the 98 S70 T5 located?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:54 PM

I've had this happen twice in my 01 S60 2.4T and both times it was the Evap purge valve aka evap shut off valve. It is a biiitch to get to and likely not possible without a hoist.

The first time the dealer did it and they dropped the rear suspension making it very easy to get to. The second time I brought it to my friends shop and we both tried to do it without dropping the suspension (because I'd forgotten how the dealer did it) and we did manage to change it but it was very hard and our arms were very scratched up after wards.