Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light - Mass Air Flow sensor, help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light - Mass Air Flow sensor, help!

I'm brand new to this board, but hoping to get a little help.

I have a 2008 volvo s60, 2.5t, it has 87k miles on it. Recently, the check engine light came on, I took it to a local shop that works on volvos, they checked the codes out and told me the Mass Air Flow sensor was the problem. They did some further diagnostics and told me the sensor needed to be replaced. I said "OK", it was ~$450 or so, no problem.

I get the car back, and the check engine light comes back on. So I take it back to the shop, they tell me that the Mass Air Flow sensor is reading correctly, so the problem is solved, but that the system needs to be "set to zero" or "flashed", I understood this to be something like a re-boot to recognize the new part. The shop said they couldn't do the "flash", but that a Volvo dealership could take care of it, no problem.

I say OK, and head over to the volvo dealership - I explain all this to them and they say there's no such thing as a "flash" for a new mass air flow sensor, that this part is basically a "plug and play" and there must be other issues. The dealership says they don't know what the problem is and it would take a bunch more time to diagnose the issue. I say no thanks, they give me the car back after clearing the codes out. The car is running great, no check engine light, no problem, so I'm thinking maybe I'm in the clear, then the check engine light comes back on. Not sure what to do next...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice / recommendations?

One other thing I've noticed - it seems like the check engine light is triggered by a drop in temp...

Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My next step would be to check for a vacuum leak somewhere in the induction system past the MAF. If you're loosing metered air from a leak it will throw off the MAF readings and trigger the CEL. You're shop should have a smoke tester to pressurizer the intake pipes. If you do have a leak, it will not maintain pressure and the smoke will indicate where the leak is at.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM

If your repair shop replaced MAF but could NOT clear the code, you are at the wrong place and need to find a competent repair shop. Even a cheap autozone ODBII code scanner can clear volvo codes.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Hi,

Just joined myself as have been having the same problem myself.
I have a 2006 S60T, Petrol.

I ordered a MAF & collecting it on the way home form work.
I had a Mechanic run a diagnostics on it before & that came up as the problem.
I will install tomorrow (hoping it`s not too complicated, the mechanic said it`s just a matter of taking bolts out, putting new sensor in & reconnecting ).

It is getting fairly cold here in Ireland & that seems to be adding to the problem in the mornings, The revs were all over the place & cutting out constantly.

It is costing €75.00 Inc. VAT, which should be a good price because all the mechanics i spoke to said it should cost around €120 - €150.

Can any of yee tell me if It is as simpe to install as tey are telling me??

Cheers...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM

one of the easiest parts to install. Flst blade screw drive to loosen the hose clamp, tab clips on air filter side. should take all of 5 minutes total.