Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Check Engine Light with NO codes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light with NO codes?

I have a 2001 2.4t and my check engine light has been on for a couple of days (Work schedule prevented me from checking earlier) and the local autoparts store connected the OBDII reader and found NO codes. Any ideas of what this could be? I adjusted the gas cap just in case, even though it wasn't showing any evap codes.

Would the dealer be able to read any codes that were "not available" to a general code reader? I am planning on disconnecting the battery to see if it will reset but I hate to do it if will erase any code that might be stored....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine Light with NO codes?

ORIGINAL: NCS60

I have a 2001 2.4t and my check engine light has been on for a couple of days (Work schedule prevented me from checking earlier) and the local autoparts store connected the OBDII reader and found NO codes. Any ideas of what this could be? I adjusted the gas cap just in case, even though it wasn't showing any evap codes.

Would the dealer be able to read any codes that were "not available" to a general code reader? I am planning on disconnecting the battery to see if it will reset but I hate to do it if will erase any code that might be stored....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Yes, I had the same situation.

Then took it to a Indy Volvo mechanic and he found the code, and it was the MAF disconnected (my bad from changing plugs).

the OBDII reader won't pick up most Volvo codes for some reason. He picked it up right away.

It's emission control related probably, O2 sensor, MAF, bad plug, something like that. Not major but needs to be addressed.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks! I just replaced my MAF sensor about 2 weeks ago, so HOPEFULLY it isn't bad already! I was assuming it was probably an 02 sensor or possibly a bad plug. My car seems to be running good and my gas mileage has even increased after replacing my MAF. Unfortunately I still have the crazy idle problems that the dealer duplicated but stated it wasn't bad enough to know for sure at this point???

Anyway, I will try another reader on it first and I will take it to the dealer[]

Thanks for the Help!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean your throttle body. I am not sure of the terminology and it may not apply, but usually the idle is controlled by an Idle air contol module or motor. Usually is attached or just off the Throttle Body. In Fords it's called an IAC. When idles fluctuate most times it's the IAC or a dirty throttle body butterfly valve opening. This is probably not it, but change the airfilter as well. Keep eliminating the cheapest things first.

Possibly the code will tell you what it is.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 PM

I replaced the air filter at the same time as the MAF (2 weeks ago). The throttle body probably needs to be cleaned but I honestly have never tackled this on a Volvo and I was under the impression it was a fairly difficult task on a P2 TB. I have cleaned TB's before but I am a little confused on what to take apart to get to it? Any suggestions.....

Either way, I am going to have the code read at the dealer.

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 PM

same thing happened to me, the dealer upgraded the software so that i would get a code next time the light came on and it did and i got the code.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Dealer looked at it yesterday and found a code for the ETC Sensor/Thermostat ECM #201A and also found a faulty climate control fan motor sensor sensor CCM #0003 (obviously this one isn't related to the engine). They also gladly told me my rear brakes are about gone (which I already new). Also, they stated I need to replace the thermostat and coolant at the same time as well. Needless to say, I haven't had it repaired and it will be parked over the holidays until I figure out whether I will continue to dump money into it or trade it at this point. It is starting to add up at this point.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 PM

I had this as well (s60 2.4T Geartronic 2001).
It was the throttle body. It was cleaned and everything is back to normal ...

2001 - S60 2.4T SE Geartonic
I simply love Volvo

Old 12-23-2007, 02:19 PM

I cleaned my MAF and idle control valve shortly after I bought my 960 with PB Blaster and then MAF cleaner because of rough idle problems. It worked great and I repeat it about every other oil change and it runs like A top (now if I could ever figure out this tranny code I would be set).