Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Check Transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Transmission oil

Hi. I have a volvo s60 t4 2013 and i don't know how to check the transmission oil, it doesn't have anything to check it. I'll very appreciate if you can help me with that. Thanks a lot

Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't find a video on a 2013. Might this help ??

Old 01-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Some new models don't even have a transmission dipstick as they are intended to be maintenance free, where the tech sets the fluid level from under the car using the fill port or a check valve. I suspect your car falls into this categaory.

Note that on other models, the transmission dip stick is hard to see without knowing where to look. Those are usually down on the front drivers side - and have a colored (yellow) plastic cap.

For what its worth, VW DSG transmissions require the transmission oil and filter be changed every 40K miles. There you need to remove the battery box to access the top side of the transmission to remove the filter and access the fill port and then there's an overflow tube on the lower drain port. There's no dip stick so you need to follow the process carefully to make sure you get the correct fill level. The procedure requires the tech to remove the overflow tube to drain the transmission then reinsert for the fill. then you fill from the top until the oil comes out into the overflow tube... Talk about over engineered :-) I keep wondering why they didn't just put a fill plug in the side of the transmission... (probably access/space). This is why I just let the shop do the transmission oil changes.

I suspect if you have a concern about your transmission (ie you see fluid leaks) and don't have a lift or knowledge of the procedure, its best just to ask your shop to check during your next maintenance visit. You can also look at maintenance schedule for your car to see if there is a recommended maintenance interval

Old 01-03-2020, 01:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

While I enjoy some of the innovations/conveniences of current cars (back-up cameras, BLIS - a spinal fusion somewhat limits my ability to turn my head) issues like these could support the notion that these cars are either:

1. Engineered with little or no thought to maintenance are service or even
2. Deliberately designed to make service difficult and obscure to funnel more business to dealer's shops.

My 2015 V60 does not have a crankcase dipstick. Oil level is measured and displayed electronically - two problems with this:

1. An electronic sensing/display system can malfunction - a dipstick is rather more robust
2. Actually seeing the oil can provide information about potential problems

While I deplore the loss of read-outs of important information - oil pressure, charging state, sometimes even coolant temperature, it is hard to believe that anything as stupid as eliminating dipsticks could be accidental.