Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Clutch pedal will not return to up position intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal will not return to up position intermittently

I have a UK Volvo V60 2014, 1.6 diesel, owned from new, full service history at main dealership.
Yesterday when pulling away from a junction I noticed that the clutch pedal was not returning to the up position this progressively got worse as i changed up through the gears. Within a few hundred meters the pedal was totally in the down position, and I had only got into 4th gear. I continued to drive to my destination, however I had to stop the car at a junction. The clutch pedal was still flat to the floor. I was able the select neutral . On trying to pull away I could not select any gear. I then reached down to the clutch pedal and pulled it to the up position by hand. Was then able to select gears and continue my journey, (changing gear many more times than was necessary, to prove the clutch was operating correctly). Today on examination of all visible parts I am unable to detect any fluid leaks and the Brake/Clutch fluid reservoir is full to the Max mark and the fluid condition is very clean. The clutch pedal movement is normal, there is no mechanical interference with the movement , it is normal. The car has been driven for a short distance and the clutch is operating satisfactory.
This happened over 3 years ago and on that occasion all the symptoms were as above even down to lifting the clutch pedal by hand to remedy the situation. On that occasion the car was recovered by the Volvo breakdown service and taken to the dealership where they replaced the Slave cylinder on the manufacturers warranty, which has now expired.
Wandering if anyone can advise or suggest a way forward, I am not able to trust the car at the moment, its a difficult to push such a heavy car in ones 70s should I get caught out at a junction.
Many thanks in anticipation.
BRIANR70

Old 12-12-2021, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIANR70
I have a UK Volvo V60 2014, 1.6 diesel, owned from new, full service history at main dealership.
Yesterday when pulling away from a junction I noticed that the clutch pedal was not returning to the up position this progressively got worse as i changed up through the gears. Within a few hundred meters the pedal was totally in the down position, and I had only got into 4th gear. I continued to drive to my destination, however I had to stop the car at a junction. The clutch pedal was still flat to the floor. I was able the select neutral . On trying to pull away I could not select any gear. I then reached down to the clutch pedal and pulled it to the up position by hand. Was then able to select gears and continue my journey, (changing gear many more times than was necessary, to prove the clutch was operating correctly). Today on examination of all visible parts I am unable to detect any fluid leaks and the Brake/Clutch fluid reservoir is full to the Max mark and the fluid condition is very clean. The clutch pedal movement is normal, there is no mechanical interference with the movement , it is normal. The car has been driven for a short distance and the clutch is operating satisfactory.
This happened over 3 years ago and on that occasion all the symptoms were as above even down to lifting the clutch pedal by hand to remedy the situation. On that occasion the car was recovered by the Volvo breakdown service and taken to the dealership where they replaced the Slave cylinder on the manufacturers warranty, which has now expired.
Wandering if anyone can advise or suggest a way forward, I am not able to trust the car at the moment, its a difficult to push such a heavy car in ones 70s should I get caught out at a junction.
Many thanks in anticipation.
BRIANR70
Hi Brian! I got the same problem and mechanic changed the brake fluid as he checked for any leaking which never happened... All good for 3 days of using the car, the problem came back... I read on forums it is the pump under the pedal that needs to be replaced and intend to do so next days when I get some time, and I hope it is that the fault as is less expensive than other things. If you succeed in repairing yours then please let me know what was the case with your one... All the best!