Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Manual Transmission Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Manual Transmission Issue?

Hello,
I drive a 1994 Volvo 850 NA with a 5 speed manual. For the past few weeks, occasionally I would have grinding noises when placing the transmission into first gear while at a complete stop and the clutch pedal all the way to to floor. Also once in a while while accelerating and in gear I would once in a while feel like I pushed the clutch in and released it quickly (a jolt). It seems to do so well otherwise I just ignored it. However this morning I put the car into reverse and the clutch was engaging at an extremely high point in the release of the pedal and jolting. Right after backing out of my driveway put the car into first and more jolting and engaging much higher than normal. Made it a good 100 ft before all gears completely stopped engaging. I can now with the car running go through all gears without touching the clutch pedal and the car acts like it is in neutral. Other than not being able to move anywhere everything feels normal.

I've stopped taking my car to mechanics a few years ago but the transmission makes me a little uncomfortable. Any thoughts on this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM

My advise would be to trade me all the manual stuff for my automatic trans.. that will solve your problem Just Joking, Unless you are interested

When was the last time you replaced the clutch?
he pressure plate may be fine but the actual friction plate may be worn..
or whats your fluid level in the Mas Cyl?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Nice try! I have been keeping an eye open for later 850R's or T5's to attempt a conversion myself so I think I'll hold onto to it Even the NA is fun with a 5 speed.

I bought the car about 5 years ago at 122k miles. It is now at almost 250k and I abuse the crap out of it on a daily basis. The clutch has never been changed. If the fluid was low would the pedal feel different or stay on the floor? I'll go check the fluid though as I never have before! Sucks that this is my daily driver.

Assuming I am to attempt the clutch do you know of any nice write ups on the process? I'm not sure I am ready for such a thing. This is also the first car I have ever changed a timing belt on. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Just wanted to let you know I just checked the fluid and it was between min and max so I topped it off. Am I right in the fluid is shared with the brake cylinder? Pumped the clutch some more and it still acts like the clutch pedal is always pressed.

Kenny

Old 06-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time for a new clutch

Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by kdion1024
Just wanted to let you know I just checked the fluid and it was between min and max so I topped it off. Am I right in the fluid is shared with the brake cylinder? Pumped the clutch some more and it still acts like the clutch pedal is always pressed.

Kenny
Yeah, your friction plate is worn...

+1 with 91 its time for a new clutch..

Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM

Thank you for your replies! Not what I wanted to hear but exactly what I assumed.

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM

Well with the help of a neighbor (he's a mechanic) we changed the clutch, both axles and all motor mounts. It feels like a different car! The clutch was completely worn. Shavings looked like dead rodents! Thanks for your confirmations on the problem. I have another question after all of this. All gears feel great except for 2nd at high rpm. Kind of feels like it doesn't want to go into second until the rpm drops below a certain point. I don't drive like a madman all the time but am curious what could cause this? Before the repairs there was some "grinding" in 1st and second, 2nd especially at higher rpm. I am concerned there could be other issues with the tranny?