Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Clutch won't shift in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch won't shift in reverse.

I have a 2003 volvo s60 every gear shifts perfect except reverse. I mean sometime I can get it to go but it takes a while and lots of revving and grinding. Anyone know why this is?

Old 12-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Xyoung
I have a 2003 volvo s60 every gear shifts perfect except reverse.lots of revving and grinding.
If reverse is grinding and the forward gears do not - The clutch is not releasing all the way - that means the transmission is still spinning slightly with the clutch pedal all the way in. The forward gears are synchronized - there is a "brake band" or synchronizer on each gear to synchronize the speed of the gears so they don't grind. Reverse has no "brake band" so therefore is not synchronized - and will grind if the transmission is still spinning when trying to engage reverse.

Is there something preventing the clutch pedal from touching the floor? (a bunched up floormat)

If not you may have a hydraulic problem with the clutch release mechanism - sorry but the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing on your car - or you could have a clutch plate that's about to come apart. Both require $$$ to remove the transmission.

As a work around, put the trans in a forward gear (to stop the trans from spinning) immediately before trying to put in reverse. Do not raise the engine speed during this process, it will only make it worse.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
If reverse is grinding and the forward gears do not - The clutch is not releasing all the way - that means the transmission is still spinning slightly with the clutch pedal all the way in. The forward gears are synchronized - there is a "brake band" or synchronizer on each gear to synchronize the speed of the gears so they don't grind. Reverse has no "brake band" so therefore is not synchronized - and will grind if the transmission is still spinning when trying to engage reverse.

Is there something preventing the clutch pedal from touching the floor? (a bunched up floormat)

If not you may have a hydraulic problem with the clutch release mechanism - sorry but the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing on your car - or you could have a clutch plate that's about to come apart. Both require $$$ to remove the transmission.

As a work around, put the trans in a forward gear (to stop the trans from spinning) immediately before trying to put in reverse. Do not raise the engine speed during this process, it will only make it worse.
no there is no carpet bunched up. I tried the put it in a higher gear and still nothing. I got it to go in reverse twice then it was back to grinding again. It goes in every gear perfect, but when I try reverse its like there is something blocking it.. The dealer ship said buy a new clutch but I don't think I need it if every other gear works right? I just want to get the problem solved and get rid of the car. There was a brand new clutch installed and then it sat for years so I don't know what's going on. It only has 97,541 original miles. Idk I'm not trying to pay the dealer 1.5k or more. I'm just trying to get it going to get rid of it and never buy a manual car again. Nothing but trouble.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:21 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Xyoung
got it to go in reverse twice then it was back to grinding again.
OK your clutch is not releasing completely - As a work around put the car in reverse before starting the engine it to keep it from grinding.

The solution IF your hydraulic system is working properly - is a new clutch.

Don't be pissed - Automatic transmissions have more expensive problems than clutches! There's thousands of Volvo Automatic transmissions that have needed to be replaced to the tune of ~$5000 with less than 97k miles!

You said new clutch @97k miles, then sat for years - how often has the brake fluid/clutch fluid been changed? Every 2 years as recommended?