Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

CPO car - my first state inspection - 30,000 mile maint ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CPO car - my first state inspection - 30,000 mile maint ??

Today I took my car in to the dealer for a State inspection. It passed but oddly somehow my brake pads are thicker than they were on the CPO Repair Audit form that I got when I bought the car. Magic I guess?

So it passed but the service guy came out and said I am due for an oil change because it has been a year since the oil change. Hm? I've only owned the car 6 months, then I remember that the dealer had given the car as a daily driver to the sales guy. He drove it for six months. Sitting out in the waiting area another women overheard the discussion and she said, "if it was a CPO car, should the oil have been changed when you bought it?". We chatted about it for a while.

Then the service manager comes out and says I am due for the 30,000 mile maintenance work. Hm? I told him that I thought the 30,000 mile was done under the CPO. I said no to the offer.

Went to pay for the inspections and the service manager says that he heard me talking and did the oil change for me...no charge.

I get home and pull out my CPO Repair Audit form and sure enough, there in clear letters it says that the 30,000 maintenance was completed.

So now I'm sitting here wondering if it was completed? They put all that stuff into the computer and if the computer is saying I need it, so I sit here thinking what's up?

This is the same place that the link below refers to and if you care to read, start at post #14.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...e2/#post432780

So how do I know if again things are not as I was told?

Old 10-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

How does the service manager know when your oil was last changed? did he look at service indicator or the paperwork? How likely is it that the servicing was done but the computer wasn't reset? If you have any doubts, take the car in for an extra oil change and make sure your shop resets the service interval. I've had similar experiences with our local Toyota dealer - usually when my wife brings the car in... things like "you're due a coolant flush" (coolant flush was done when they put in a thermostat 3 years prior) or the tech wrote the wrong mileage on the reminder sticker - close but off by 5000 miles etc. That's why I keep a complete log.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:07 PM

For oil I would assume he looked at the date on the windshield sticker or it was in the computer.

There is a chance nobody put the 30,000 mile maintenance in the computer but that is a big "maybe." There is also the chance it was never completed. I'll need
to see what is done at the 30,000 mile interval.

I looked and there really isn't much to be done at the 30,000 mile mark on a 4 cyl 2016 V60 AWD. At least nothing that would warrant $265 and it isn't anything I can't do.

Starts at page 14.

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...-Manual-v3.pdf

I did learn something on page 13 and that is to let the car sit and idle before turning off the engine. I used to do that on my Jaguars and if I remember it was to aid against heat sink issues.

Originally Posted by mt6127
How does the service manager know when your oil was last changed? did he look at service indicator or the paperwork? How likely is it that the servicing was done but the computer wasn't reset? If you have any doubts, take the car in for an extra oil change and make sure your shop resets the service interval. I've had similar experiences with our local Toyota dealer - usually when my wife brings the car in... things like "you're due a coolant flush" (coolant flush was done when they put in a thermostat 3 years prior) or the tech wrote the wrong mileage on the reminder sticker - close but off by 5000 miles etc. That's why I keep a complete log.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:31 PM

So here is how this all ended. Today I called the service manager and said, we received another notice that the 30,000 mile service is due and we are very concerned.

He asked for my phone number, looked it up and said ... oh no you aren't due. It was completed when they did the initial CPO inspection.

So I hung up thinking....this is the same guy that looked me in the eye and told me it was due for the maintenance.

Ok ....Whatever???

Last edited by urdrwho; 10-15-2019 at 08:33 PM.