Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diagnosing ETM and Other Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing ETM and Other Problems

2001 S60 T5

Like so many here, I was experiencing hesitation and surging, but unlike many, I had no idle problems.

A trip to the dealer resulted only in a note that "No Codes; Throttle passed" and a suggestion I replace the MAF, Plugs, and Coil Packs before assuming the problem was from the ETM.

I replaced the suggested parts (I bought 2 new Bosch coil packs and rotated through all 5 positions since all 5 had been replaced 30k miles ago, with no effect). I asked on the forums, and elsewhere, and no one had suggestions how to pin the problem down so the dealer would listen.

I have 2 scanners/code readers, one of which would record live data in table form, but it gave no really good clue what was happening from what I could see.

In desperation I bought an Autel MS-509 scanner (http://www.auteltech.com/ms509.htm) that said it also would graphically display live data. It can be bought on Amazon for $109, or direct from China from "Deal Extreme" for $68 w/ free shipping (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/maxisca...-scanner-35022 ). I hooked it up and was flat amazed. It produces beautiful live-data charts right on the screen for most functions*, and by watching the Throttle Position, Ignition Advance, and Air Flow, Load Factor live in chart form it was obvious that the throttle was jerking open/closed in pulsations that exactly corresponded to the surging/hesitation I was having.

I recorded the graphs (the screen shows a continuous 15 second record of what the systems are doing) using a "Flip" video camera in 3 minute segments and loaded the sequences (with my voice narration) onto a USB thumb drive that would play the videos on any computer and went back to the dealership. The Throttle Position (measured in %) looked like an EKG of an addict hooked on "speed" rather than a relatively smooth ramp up or down depending upon engine demand (as I used to compare to our other vehicles). The rpm plot showed the rpm varying by 200rpm while climbing grades (TC not locked up) or accelerating, and the Mass Air Flow showed corresponding variations, as did the Load Factor graphs.

Here's a sample of one of the live-data graphs (a bit less sharp because the camera was inside the close-focus distance of the "Flip" video camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jfjog4th5E

It was like being able to take the service writer on a 10 minute test drive, but while highlighting the conditions that made the ETM malfunction the worst, rather than just a drive around the block to FEEL the effect (something he declined to participate in). They took me a lot more seriously the second time, and offered a free ETM cleaning, during which they said they found internal binding of the ETM not related to a dirty ETM, and that while a tracking test still showed the ETM w/in specs, the binding meant that the ETM could not respond to the computer properly.

Bottom line, I got a new ETM installed (and a thorough PCV cleaning), all absolutely free. The car that I'd grown to HATE driving is now a pleasure again.

I seriously doubt without the MS-509 I'd have had the confidence to be insistent, and I suspect without the "evidence" on video the service writer would have had the tech probe as deeply as he did. If nothing else, for $68 I have a diagnostic tool FAR more competent and capable than the Actron or Innova units costing over $200 (discounted street price). It's amazing what you can observe on a live chart that you won't see with freeze-frame data.

All this said, Volvo will STILL not replace the ETM unless in THEIR opinion (based on codes or examination) the ETM is BAD. You can almost forget the "death codes" Volvo uses to determine ETM failure. I had a very revealing talk w/ the folks at XE-Modem (REALLY nice folks, BTW) and they said the re-program Volvo did desensitized the computer to where the car has to be virtually undriveable before the codes will be displayed that authorize an ETM replacement.

I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten a free ETM, but I think the live graphs contributed enough to easily justify the expense of the unit. It will no doubt assist me in other "witch hunts" with my other OBD II vehicles as well.

Bob
*The MS-509 says it only will graph the PINs that display a "G" next to the PIN on the menu, but by accident I found at least on the Volvo, it will graph ALL functions, even those NOT displaying the "G."

Last edited by bobinyelm; 06-04-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that. I see one place has the Autel MS-509 scanner for $58.88, and another has it for $78.88. Both state free shipping and the second one advertises a guaranteed low price. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by J. A. Higgins
Thanks for that. I see one place has the Autel MS-509 scanner for $58.88, and another has it for $78.88. Both state free shipping and the second one advertises a guaranteed low price. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one.
It would be among the better $58 purchases you'll make, assuming you plan to continue to own OBD II compliant vehicles.
Do you have a link to the $58 price? That's the cheapest I've seen that gives free shipping.
Some places sell them for $43, but you have to buy 10 or more.

I went back and posted a link to a YouTube video of one of the graphs (in my initial post above) if you want to see what one looks like. The funky movement of the throttle position is pretty obvious.

Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 06-04-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Here you go:
http://www.tmart.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS509-OBD2-II-EOBD-Scanner-Code-Reader-Live-Data_p88572.html?gclid=CPmFz4_vnKkCFUW8KgodJHkyvQ

I found the other one, for $78.99 at:
http://www.gadgettown.com/Maxiscan-MS509-OBD2-Scanner-Code-Reader-Live-Data.html This outfit claims to have a "Guaranteed Preferential Price" that will beat any advertised price. After challenging them to meet or beat the $58.89 offer they held firm on $78.99 (So much for Guaranteed Preferential Price). So, they won't be getting any of my business!

Thanks for the video. It's always helpful to actually see something in action before buying.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 AM

T-Mart. GREAT price, and you wouldn't regret the purchase.

On the video, realize that the display was far clearer than the video implies due to the inability of the camera to focus that close.

The POWER of being able to SEE what is happening "live" (not freeze frame) is amazing.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM

thanks for the information-however,my 2001 s60 volvo,first made,has had failure after failure-first of the new s60 model-i had the throttle body flashed at ron newton volvo and not replaced.now,ron newton volvo is out of business.volvo corp.will onlly give me a 20% discount on a new throttle body which cost $1200. i have own and built 27 volvo in my 37 years of owning volvos-friends call me the volvoman or the volvofreak.what can i do with a very nice looking s60 with only 127k miles on it. the volvo corp should replace the throttle body for free. it was in the recall.i need help with this problem or then a very nice s60 volvo will have go to the scrap yard.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Getting a scanner/datalogger is imho the best investment on any fuel injected car. How fast is it in terms of up to date readings? I have a Genesys and sometimes it is difficult to diagnose intermittent problems due to it being sluggish to record data quickly.

The graphing of that scanner is great. Reminds me of the Snap On scanners.

Last edited by eeeewidner; 06-05-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kim richardson
what can i do with a very nice looking s60 with only 127k miles on it.
Kim

if you like the car, is in good shape otherwise you have a couple of options, neither one near $1,200:

Xemodex will upgrade you failed ETM for about $600 lifetime replacement, or
get a used yellow sticker one from a '99-'01 S80 S60 V70, it will eork without a dealer visit, but for how long, who knows????