Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Did you consider a Saab first?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you consider a Saab first?

Hey everyone. I am test driving S60 turbo and NA's in the '03 and '04 range. I tried an S80 but felt uninspired. I need to put boatloads of miles on the car and keep the payments low so I am leaning toward the NA version in a plain wrapper. However, yesterday I took a Saab linear and ARC out and wound them up and was so pleased. Zoom zoom! I want to go with one or the other but wondered if you considered the Saab why you went with the Volvo? For some reason I am getting the vibe that Saab's are notorious for problems and problems are what I cannot afford at the moment.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Default RE: Did you consider a Saab first?

apparently not lol!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 AM

You should buy a Camry or Accord. Any of the Euro trash that we drive is high ($$$) maintenance. Even a Ford or GM will be a more reliable and lower cost transportation unit. But, if you want a comfortable, stylishor well handling vehicle look at Volvo, BMW, Audi, VW etc.
(This should get some discussion going)

Old 12-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought Volvos because we love to spend money. I bought my first (02 S60) as I was looking for a car for me to drive as I was giving my Camry to my daughter when she got her license. After driving it I decided that an 850 or S70 was going to be the right car at the right price for my son when he turns 16. Ended up with a 96 850 GLT Sedan. I've been happy with both. Didn't really shop for a Saab but I think expense wise it's going to be about the same as any other European car. The Camry and Accord are good cars and have the reputation for being able to handle big mileage numbers. They are all good choices. If you think you can handle the higher costs of the Euro's then I would be happy with any of the aforementioned brands.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 AM

I considered a saab 9-3 before the s60. I test drove the saab and the s60. To me, the saab felt lighter and cheaper and more closed in - confined (which was liely the intent, like a cockpit of a jet). It also didnt have alot of the extra features unless you spent alot. It felt bery sporty, but i also wanted a very comfortable touring sedan on long trips I commute an hour each way to work. The Volvo s60 felit it like it had more power, it had more space (in the front seats anyway). the leather seats were supportive and felt like sitting on my living room sofa. The layout of the console is also nice and it has a very distinct classic lines and features that cannot be mistaken for another vehicle. I was set on a saab for an entire year before and then purchased a volvo and do not regret for a second.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM

I agree with the cost of ownership/maint. with European cars. I had a Volvo S60 and sold it to purchase an 07 Camry because of the maint. cost and reliable reasons as well. But in the end, I SOLD the 07 Camry after only 7 months and went back with another Volvo! I commute over an hour, one way,to work everyday (about 3.5 hrs. round trip) and the Camry was the most uncomfortable car after about 30 minutes. I have also had several Honda Accords in the past and with the same problem....Cheap & Uncomfortable seats!

It all depends on your drive and what you are willing to spend. My Volvo costs a lot more to maintain then a lot of vehicles (especially when compared to Japanese or even domestic) but if you drive any long distances on a normal basis, it is worth it to go with a comfortable car. Don't get me wrong, Volvo's are great cars but there is no hiding the fact they cost more to keep up (Parts alone are more expensive).

To give you a comparison of cost (just in my case that is)I have spent LESS on 3 imports (1 Honda Accord, 1 Mazda and 1 Camry, witha combined total of 200K miles) than I have on my current Volvo after only 8 months of ownership (not counting general maint/up keep).

That being said, in my case the cost of owning a more expensive but comfortable & safe car out weigh the cost savings of other options. In the case of the Saab, I also considered the
9-3 and 9-5 and although they were more fun/sporty, in the end I felt Volvo's reputation for reliability/cost of ownership/resale was a better option for me.

I LOVE my Volvo but I can say ownership is fairly expensive. Of courseI currently have an 01 (2.4 Turbo)and it was the first model year with a lot more problems BUT my 03 CPO car (also a 2.4 Turbo) I bought 2 years ago had a few problems as well (fortunately I had the CPO warranty). If you purchase a Volvo or Saab make SURE it has been taken care of and you should be fine. I have no doubt my car will last as long as any Honda or Toyota BUT it will cost more to get to that point.[:@]

Best of luck to you

Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

Hello, I just bought my 5th Volvo, an "04 S60 non-turbo, after testing 2 used Saabs, both turbo, one auto and one stick. My first 3 Volvos were 240's and were absolutely great. After a hiatus of @10 years I bought an 850 GLT, which was also great but which eventually blew up because of MY poor maintenance. That was 3 weeks ago. I went back to my old Volvo salesman and asked him to pick out the best used value he had--he's retiring next week, so I didn't think he had any reason to screw me.

This is going to be a great car, even if it costs me maybe more than it's worth. It's like this--I wear a real suit maybe 3 times a year-at funerals and weddings- but I had one "custom" made for me a few years ago. That also will last for ever, and it looks and feels absolutely marvelous. The Saabs I tested did not feel that good.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 AM

Being the previous owner of my first Saab a 1989 900 SPG, then moved on to a 1997 9000 Aero. Cars before the new generations. My other outlaws havea 2000 9-5 and a 2003 9-3.

Thanks for my new tagline:At least the Swedesgot Volvoright.