Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Driver power window works perfectly when car is off, intermittent when car running

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver power window works perfectly when car is off, intermittent when car running

My front driver's side power window works very intermittently when the car is running and I'm driving around. It has been this way for the last year or so. It is consistently unreliable, but it does function. The rest of the windows (and everything else that I know of) work perfectly all the time.

Strangely, when I turn the car off (with the key turned so the battery is on), the driver's window works perfectly every single time.

Can you please provide me with suggestions on what to check?

Thank you very much!

2001 Volvo S60 base

Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Try changing the drivers side window switch. I had a similar problem and took it apart and cleaned it.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by David Heflin
Try changing the drivers side window switch. I had a similar problem and took it apart and cleaned it.
Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I'm thinking it might not be the switch (but instead something electrical), because the window works perfectly when the car is off (and the key is turned so the battery runs the electrical system).

I was hoping to get a suggestion as to what type of electrical issues I can investigate - fuse, relay, something?

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I'm thinking it might not be the switch (but instead something electrical), because the window works perfectly when the car is off (and the key is turned so the battery runs the electrical system).

I was hoping to get a suggestion as to what type of electrical issues I can investigate - fuse, relay, something?

Thanks.
Similar problem, but have never tested it when it's not running. May I ask what you ended up doing?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 AM

Never got the issue resolved. Please post when you find out what it was. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 PM

In my case I am leaning toward the window motor. As I have paid more attention to it I find that sometimes it seems as if the motor tries when the window is all the way down as I can see a slight movement when I try to put it up as if maybe there is a bad spot on the windings, but that doesn't explain why it sometimes won't operate when fully up or partially down. That leads me more toward the switch, and unfortunately that bad boy is $300+ even from IPD because it is a module. Then if I understand correctly it has to go to the dealer to get the PCM to recognize it and allow it to operate it. One of the downsides to owning an otherwise great car. At this point I'm not even sure if we are chasing the same problem.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:02 PM

So I finally got around to pulling the door panel today. The more I observed it the more I was convinced it was the switch itself. I found this thread over on http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=23510 where a poster mentioned taking apart the drivers door module and cleaning the contacts. In the OP's situation, while it worked initially, the problem returned. I seriously wondered about the cleaner he used and whether or not what they sell at Radio Shack was really up to the task, so using a Q-Tip I cleaned the contacts with acetone. After all, I didn't really feel I had anything to lose as it had completely stopped working about a month ago. Put it back together and so far so good, but if it stops working again anytime in the near future I will update here.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
Never got the issue resolved. Please post when you find out what it was. Thanks.
Hi,

Same problem as you. If you have found how to solve it, I am really interested since I still enjoy my old car with nearly 300000 miles.
I was thinking maybe the steering wheel neiman or a relay....

wether you have tips, thanks

Old 03-16-2022, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by pkrface
So I finally got around to pulling the door panel today. The more I observed it the more I was convinced it was the switch itself. I found this thread over on http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=23510 where a poster mentioned taking apart the drivers door module and cleaning the contacts. In the OP's situation, while it worked initially, the problem returned. I seriously wondered about the cleaner he used and whether or not what they sell at Radio Shack was really up to the task, so using a Q-Tip I cleaned the contacts with acetone. After all, I didn't really feel I had anything to lose as it had completely stopped working about a month ago. Put it back together and so far so good, but if it stops working again anytime in the near future I will update here.
Hi,

Same problem as you. If you have found how to solve it, I am really interested since I still enjoy my old car with nearly 300000 miles.
I was thinking maybe the steering wheel neiman or a relay....

wether you have tips, thanks

Old 05-06-2022, 12:42 PM
Default Intermittent drivers window

Good day all!

I own a 2002 v70 XC. My problem is that the drivers side window works intermittently. I hear the motor attempt to move the window but stops as soon as it starts. Sometimes opening and closing of the door seems to “free” it up and then it works fine. Some days it works flawlessly and other days I have to mess with it several times before it works. I’ve kinda ruled out the motor and switch as the window always tries to work. Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

you may need to replace the window regulator rollers

Google "volvo 3509416" to see what they look like.. or FCP / IPD or a dealer store like Tasca Parts to find the exact fit for your year.

The following users liked this post:
Dyrag (05-06-2022)