Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Drivers window replacement - glass, regulator, reset ECM?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers window replacement - glass, regulator, reset ECM?

Hello All,
I have a 2001 S60 2.4 Turbo. Cold temperatures jacked up my drivers window causing it to come off the track. Fixed the problem by replacing the 2 blue sliding pivots ($5.00 ea) that connect the window regulator arms to slider backs / metalon bottom of glass. This worked for a few weeks until the window made a funny noise going down and then was misaligned at a forward angle coming back up. Successfully pushed the window closed. The windowshattered on its ownin the front bottom corner overnight.

Looking to replace the glass, window regulator (not motor), and guide. See attached schematic.

Questions:
1) Found a laminated glass replacement for $255 and slider backs for $4 online. I am wondering if the slider backs (#2 in attached pic) come integrated on the glass like the OEM glass?
2) I have seen a few posts mention thata trip to the dealer is not required to reset the ECM if only the regulator/motor is replaced.Can someone confirm that and whetherI would need the dealer to reset the ECM if the glass is replaced?
3) Any suggestions for this repair?

Thanks so much for your input.
Lisa

[IMG]local://upfiles/21059/B751E50224DE4A779E345935B0FC0BD9.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Default Same problems

Lisa,

This weekend I encountered the same problem you did... the blue plastic sliders came loose when rolling down the window, and it cracked when I tried to roll it back up.

I called the dealership this afternoon, and they have a "hardened" window for $116, and the laminated window for $395. (obviously I can get these cheaper than going to the dealership.)

My S60R came with the laminated windows. Do they HAVE to be replaced with laminated glass, or can I use the cheaper alternative?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Michael,
I found a used laminated one online from Dan (ddvman@earthlink.net) for $129 plus shipping. I went with the safety laminated because the glass shouldn't shatter into pieces; I wouldn't want glass in my face.

The blue grommets are $4? at the dealer. You need 2; I recommend getting extras. My regulator broke anyway, but we didn't reset the ECM. The window works, but must raise it holding the button manually or else on auto it will lower 2 inches.

If replacing the regulator, you'll need a rivet gun and replacement rivets. Be sure to cut the length after installing so they don't hit the glass.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 PM

Remove the window switch block from the door panel, carefully open it up and clean the contact board with contact cleaner spray. Same process as you need to do with TV remotes when they start to fail. The switch is disassembled quite easy and snaps back together. No reprogramming either. This will fix most window issues including auto up feature unless the motor is weak.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 PM
ema

Originally Posted by mmlco
Hello All,
I have a 2001 S60 2.4 Turbo. Cold temperatures jacked up my drivers window causing it to come off the track. Fixed the problem by replacing the 2 blue sliding pivots ($5.00 ea) that connect the window regulator arms to slider backs / metalon bottom of glass. This worked for a few weeks until the window made a funny noise going down and then was misaligned at a forward angle coming back up. Successfully pushed the window closed. The windowshattered on its ownin the front bottom corner overnight.

Looking to replace the glass, window regulator (not motor), and guide. See attached schematic.

Questions:
1) Found a laminated glass replacement for $255 and slider backs for $4 online. I am wondering if the slider backs (#2 in attached pic) come integrated on the glass like the OEM glass?
2) I have seen a few posts mention thata trip to the dealer is not required to reset the ECM if only the regulator/motor is replaced.Can someone confirm that and whetherI would need the dealer to reset the ECM if the glass is replaced?
3) Any suggestions for this repair?

Thanks so much for your input.
Lisa

[IMG]local://upfiles/21059/B751E50224DE4A779E345935B0FC0BD9.gif[/IMG]

I found this window regulator replacement posted at a dealer's site. You might want to take a look at it.