Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

ETM and desired throttle angles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETM and desired throttle angles

Some background. Wife's car 2001 S60 2.4 base non turbo 175k miles AW55.

Been active on other forums for many years but this is the first time posting on a volvo forum..Worked on many volvos with 250+k so it seemed like a logical vehicle for my wife.

Car has run well for the 5 years we have owned it until it would act as if it had a huge cam at idle very rough and not very responsive. Turn car off and upon restart all was well. Did this three times in a week and the third time would not "repair" itself. After some research and code reading I sent the ETM off to Xemodex for a repair and return service. New ETM arrived quickly and car started right up and idled well...... Then the 1500 rpm just stayed there and a slight blip of the throttle would make it come down to a steady 850.

While driving the trans will downshift while decelerating and not go into the usual freewheel as its supposed to. If I shift into neutral while cruising back comes the 1500 rpm. While looking at the live data on my scan tool I get a reading of desired throttle angle of 10% while this is going on, which corresponds with how its behaving. A blip of the accelerator and back to a throttle angle of 2-3% and good idle again. Desired and actual throttle angle are always within 1% of each other.

Told Xemodex and they sent me a second ETM and ....same thing. I have unplugged the MAF, tried a new MAF and all the same issues. The original codes were for ETM communication failure which obviously are not generated now. I am getting a idle too high code now though.

My question to the Volvo guru's is this: what generates the desired throttle angle? The accelerator sensor (gas pedal) is at its idle position (8.4%) this whole time and all other values seem normal in live data on scan tool. Not sure what MAF readings should be for this vehicle though.

Thanks! Its been a month since Xemodex shipped me the first ETM and now my wife wants me to sell the car..... Running out of options other than an expensive visit to the STEALER 3 hours away.

Vwmann

Old 07-10-2015, 07:56 PM

No thoughts?

What sensors/inputs have an effect on the ECM's calculated desired throttle angle? I was thinking MAF, ECT, and accelerator. Not sure thought.

Any help would really help me like this brand again. Miss our first 1994 850.....

VW mann

Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Desired throttle angle is from the ECM based on the accelerator pedal position.

You sure there aren't any vacuum leaks?

Old 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Desired throttle angle is from the ECM based on the accelerator pedal position.

You sure there aren't any vacuum leaks?
No vacuum leaks. Pinched brake booster hose and sprayed starting fluid on all suspect components subject to intake vacuum.

Just got back from the dealer, with an ETM software reload. No more high idle, but still acts as if you are on the throttle slightly on deceleration. Desired throttle angle stays at 10% until I put it in neutral. Then back to 1-2% and good idle.

Trans will no longer go into freewheel below 40MPH and downshifts every gear with the torque converter unlocked. When initially put into Drive with slight throttle pressure to take off slowly the car will just keep on accelerating sightly and shift into 2nd....then 3rd. As if I am about 5-10% on the throttle.

Shift it into neutral at that point and it hangs at 1500rpm for a second and then drops like a rock to 850rpm. Keep in mind the car ran well and had none of these symptoms before the three initial rough starts and then failure of the original ETM.

Thanks in advance!

VWmann

Old 07-11-2015, 03:23 PM

I do have a check engine light with two codes. Front o2 sensor heater, and canister vent solenoid. Do not believe either of these would have any effect on symptoms above, and were present before ETM failure.

Thanks again!