Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hand brake stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand brake stuck

I bought a new 2004 S60 2.5T Feb this year. This happened to me twice so far. In the morning, when I reverse the car out of my garage, the rear wheel is locked even after I released the hand brake (at least the brake light is not on). Since I had no more room to move forward, I had to force the car to reverse with the rear wheel locked. This left a rubber mark on the floor. So the rear wheel was really locked. I then have to drive the car forward a little and reverse it again. I did not have to give much gas to move it forwar. WhenI reverse it , I heard a click sound and the wheel is released. It almost like the pad is stuck to the brake disc (but only when reverse ??). In both cases, it happen after I had a car washed and left the car unused for a couple of days. Since I have to drive the car to the dealer, they found nothing wrong in both cases.
Is there any electronics involved in hand brakes that can cause this to happen ?
If not, I think what I need is perhaps ask for some lubrication (not sure if lubrication is covered with new car warranty).
Or this may just go away after the brake pads worn down a little more. l didn't have the problem in the last month. It may be because I am using the car everyday. I am retired. So I am not using the car everyday most of the time. I want to clear this problem before winter during which I will be driving even less.
Any other suggestion ?

Old 09-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Hand brake stuck

This will sound funny but put a little pressure on the handle and drive it like a block or 2 and see if it helps.
The e-brake works with brake shoes inside the rear rotor.Sometimes a surface rust will form and hold the shoes.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the quick response.
As I mentioned as soon as I hear the click sound, everything is free and I can drive it with no problem. That's why the dealer could not find any problem when I drove the car to them.
You said the e-brake is actually using a drum brake inside the rear wheel. The S60 has 4 disc brakes. The e-brake is not using the discs . right ?
The rusting inside the drum could cause the problem ? Even I got the car in Feb 2005, it is a 2004 car, the car could be in the dealer's lot for more than 6 months. What can I ask the dealer to do since it is still under warranty. In the last couple of times, they said there was no problem found.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My BMW has the parking brake located within the rear disc assembly. When I do not operate the vehicle for a period of time.....and I have left the parking brake on, the shoes seem to adhere to the drum and as I back from the garage, I too experience your problem. It is of little concern to me. Perhaps you should not use your parking brake overnight and see if it (the 'noise") occurs the following morning.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The rust and dirt cause the problem.
There really isn't much they can do to fix it.

Try like I said above drive and slightly pull the handle and see if it helps.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Default You Rock!

Had my car towed to get my stuck wheel fixed only to learn the mechanics were off for thanksgiving. Read Quote 11245, went to the shop, and drove away with my car - totally saved my Thanksgiving. Never thought to crank the brake and drive the car hard but it totally worked. Kind of clicked and suddenly was free. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Originally Posted by tech
This will sound funny but put a little pressure on the handle and drive it like a block or 2 and see if it helps.
The e-brake works with brake shoes inside the rear rotor.Sometimes a surface rust will form and hold the shoes.