Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Hi. Looking to buy a crash damaged v60

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. Looking to buy a crash damaged v60

Hi guys. New to the forum. I am looking to buy a new 2019 crash damaged v60. From why I can see the car is completely dead (no lights on dash, not showing any life, etc) im hoping this is due to a very flat battery or maybe a pyrotechnic fuse blown?

I joined the forum because cause if I buy I will be looking for repair advice, especially regarding a suitable diagnostic software? I find enthusiasts normally have the best advice. So places like this are great.

I recently repaired a new Alfa Romeo and it has something called an sgw module which meant using generic diagnostic tools was really tough and was dealer only tools (unless you install a special box) wondering if Volvo has something similar?

Anyway just wanted to say hi and hopefully can get a bunch of info from this place, any tips or advice to that you think I should be starting with, especially in regards to getting some life into the car, go ahead and post. Will try to update as much as I can. Many thanks.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Volvo wants you to worship at and make (monetary) sacrifices on an altar called VIDAS. Apostasy is not welcomed. It is used as a tool for price gouging - example - on a recent trip to the dealer, I was informed that my battery was failing - the suggested (and refused) remedy: $300 for a second-rate (Interstate) battery + $200 to connect it to Vidas to "reset" the battery condition function!

The following users liked this post:
BUCHO (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pretorien
Volvo wants you to worship at and make (monetary) sacrifices on an altar called VIDAS. Apostasy is not welcomed. It is used as a tool for price gouging - example - on a recent trip to the dealer, I was informed that my battery was failing - the suggested (and refused) remedy: $300 for a second-rate (Interstate) battery + $200 to connect it to Vidas to "reset" the battery condition function!
hi thanks for input yes I want to avoid dealer visits if possible I know how pricey it can get.

I guess the first issue im having is regarding the suspension for this car. One complete leg/suspension will need to be changed, issue Im having a hard time finding spares for a 2018 v60, I was wondering what other models/ years share same suspension setup? Could I use a 2016 manual suspension? My car is duesel automatic 2018, and I’m looking for the front left suspension, ideally from a similar year.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:57 AM

First things first: do you know exactly what's wrong with the car? I mean, did the airbags deploy, or engine fire? Please, for your own sake, avoid flood vehicles like the plague. You can add parts & part-swap all day long if you want, but ultimately you're gonna need VIDAS in order to activate anything unless you hardwire it somehow, but you'll lose the OEM-like functionality of using the stock switches & whatnot

Old 02-20-2021, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by BUCHO
First things first: do you know exactly what's wrong with the car? I mean, did the airbags deploy, or engine fire? Please, for your own sake, avoid flood vehicles like the plague. You can add parts & part-swap all day long if you want, but ultimately you're gonna need VIDAS in order to activate anything unless you hardwire it somehow, but you'll lose the OEM-like functionality of using the stock switches & whatnot
thabks I’m familiar with programming new modules etc, right now I just trying to figure out compatible suspension parts for this model. As I can’t find any on specific. It’s a late 2018 2.0 diesel v60 automatic, D4, if that’s any help?

Old 02-20-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Parts compatibility can be done by researching on line parts places. Dealer online sales, independent places--- FCP Euro, IPD, UK or European versions of. Plug in your info get your part numbers and then compare to other cars that you think might have the same parts.

The VIDA that can be gotten online with discs may not work with newer cars as at some point (I believe) Volvo went away from disc based to online based information/diagnosis.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
Parts compatibility can be done by researching on line parts places. Dealer online sales, independent places--- FCP Euro, IPD, UK or European versions of. Plug in your info get your part numbers and then compare to other cars that you think might have the same parts.

The VIDA that can be gotten online with discs may not work with newer cars as at some point (I believe) Volvo went away from disc based to online based information/diagnosis.
hi. Because it’s a new car there is not much parts in the normal places, there are not much being broken for parts either. As far as I know over here the dealerships do not give out part numbers. Was hoping someone with precise knowledge could guide me and explain which, if any other models/years share the same set up.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Going to assume you are in the UK.
This is a US dealer with an online catalogue with part numbers. May be an incorrect assumption but I would think that most suspension parts would not be different between left hand drive and right hand drive.

https://www.tascaparts.com/v-2019-vo...ont-suspension

Old 02-20-2021, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
Going to assume you are in the UK.
This is a US dealer with an online catalogue with part numbers. May be an incorrect assumption but I would think that most suspension parts would not be different between left hand drive and right hand drive.

https://www.tascaparts.com/v-2019-vo...ont-suspension
hi there. I think numbers are different over here although parts may still be the same. Never the less this info is invaluable so thank you very much. The diagrams are still a great help. !!