Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do I get Volvo to replace my ETM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get Volvo to replace my ETM?

2001 S60 T5 104,000mi

I recently posted a thread about surge/hesitation and text messages about "Engine Service Required" on the Forum, and someone pointed it out that it is likely the dreaded ETM problem that was addressed by a warranty extension to 10yrs/200k miles.

I've done a LOT of reading on the subject, and such an extension EXISTS, but I am sure that Volvo doesn't not part with such expensive services without a fight, or at lest a little sparing.

So far, the car has not marooned me, nor has it tried to kill me. It has only been a nuisance, and an inconvenience.

The shifting is now affected (the trans tech said that the transmission depends upon signals from the throttle to properly execute shifts), and sometimes shifts are rather brutal (the transmission was recently rebuilt at a cost of $3600 so I don't want it trashed by the ETM).

I've had surging, hesitation, rough shifts, text messages of "Engine Service Required", but NO MIL, or "Check Engine Light." Using a simple generic code reader I can't see any pending codes, and there's the chance disconnecting the battery for alternator replacement erased any retained memory (?) of incidents. The idle is actually very smooth-the surging is mostly on light acceleration, or steady-state cruising, (and especially after a hot restart) and the Cruise is intermittently inop (possibly related).

Most of the time, the car drive almost acceptably, though the surge/hesitation is apparent, especially if the car sat hot for a while and is re-started, or if the A/C is on.

Anyone have a "script" w/ the dealer that would maximize my chances of getting a new ETM installed at minimum hassle to me?

Thanks,
Bob
BTW, my vehicle had the ECM re-flash ("ETM Software Upgrade") done in 2007 30,000miles ago, though it doesn't mention actually replacing the ETM hardware. Does that mean I am ineligible since the problem was "addressed" already?

Last edited by bobinyelm; 11-15-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the etm is repalced there are certin peramiters that it must first meet. vehicle must be below 200000 miles and under 10 years from when the vehilce was first purchased. Which may or may not have passed in your case. you should have codes for the etm. some codes are more detrimental then others. It also needs to fail what is called a sweeps test. these are set out by both volvo and the company that accually produces the etms. The only way to find if you are able to get one is to go to the dealer. Let them know when it happens and what is going on with you car.