Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

How does eAWD work on the T8 AWD

Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does eAWD work on the T8 AWD

Re-posting to the (hopefully) correct area in the forum.
------------------------------

Hello,

Just joined the forum here, hopefully someone can answer a question I've had about the T8 eAWD on the 2019 S60.

I'm in the market for a new car and one of the contenders on my list is the 2019 S60 R-Design T8 eAWD. I've been trying to understand what to make of the hybrid powertrain and I understand that this is an FWD vehicle when the motors are not engaged. Therefore, the AWD in this vehicle is not mechanically implemented but rather comes about when the electric motors on the rear axles are actuated. If my understanding is correct, my question really is, what becomes of the AWD when the batteries run out of juice? Does the vehicle reduce to a FWD or does regenerative braking provide enough juice for the motors to keep the AWD system running?

I'm quite attracted to the prospect of being able to drive around ~20 miles on electric power only, but a little confused as to how things unfold when the battery runs out of juice especially regarding the AWD system.

BTW, I'm also considering the 2019 S60 R-Design T6 AWD, I test drove this yesterday and both my wife and me loved the dynamics, handling and power delivery to the wheels. The re-designed interior was not harsh to the eye either

Thanks in advance for your answers/insights/comments.

Cheers from WA state!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after speaking with the corporate support and visiting a few dealerships (of which only one really had the answers), here is what I have found - in case this is useful to someone else.

* The vehicle does not allow the battery pack to discharge beyond ~25% which is then used to keep the vehicle in AWD configuration via the motors on the rear axle. If the battery begins to drop below 25%, the engine is used to charge it back up to at least 25%
* Above 25%, regenerative braking is used when specified in the drive mode to feed juice to the battery

I test drove an XC90 T8 where the sales person demonstrated that the battery never dropped below 25%. I'm glad to know that this is how it works - will be ordering the S60 AWD T8 R-design now.

Anyone know if dealers will negotiate on the MSRP when ordering the vehicle from the plant in NC?