Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

hu-803

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hu-803

greetings forum! this is my first post. i just bought my volvo about a month ago and i have to say i am extremely pleased. i have experienced a few trans slips but have read all about it. i have not seen anything about the radios. i have had the speakers totally cut out on me a few times during a hearty jam session and i am really upset. 2 or 3 times all the speakers have completely shut off for approx. 1-2 minutes. this evening all but the center dash speaker shut off. if i shut the radio off for a minute, the speakers will work or i can wait it out. its definitely not a skip, since all times i have been listening to a cd. is there an amp in this system? or is there an internal amp or an internal short to the speakers? the display shows no change. like i said all times was listening to a cd very loud with heavy bass. am i overloading the system? everything is factory.

also on an off note- does anyone know where to find good used interior parts- dark grey, center console and that weird little tray next to the radio.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Supposition on my part - since I don't have a schematic for your unit. I t sure sounds like you are getting a thermal protection cutout. Loud volume + heavy bass will heat up the output transistors. On many amps, these have a thermal cutout on the heatsink to prevent your frying the expensive semiconductors. Try running with lower volume and less bass and I'll bet no cutout...

Steve

Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM

thanks for your reply. you are correct by the way, at least about running lower volume and no cut out. that however, sucks. this is the first car i've owned with a decent system and i would like to use it. also i'm wondering if this is as you say normal operation or is something going bad. i noticed this evening that my lights will actually flicker with the bass. maybe i am really over thinking it but i wondered if the pcm may be cutting the amp or radio to avoid excessive power loss. my next question would be then how to combat it? higher amp alternator? aftermarket stereo? i was thinking about putting a sub in the trunk- would this be a problem as well? so many questions...