Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE

Whats Up my Volvo Family:

I am finally about to graduate from college this May 2017. I have owned my 04 S60 2.5t awd for about 7 months now, and I LOVE IT. The car is making its way up to the 200k mark, and I am debating whether or not to drive it back to my home city of Corona in California.

I have not had an issue with this car yet, and rides fantastic given the amount of miles it has. But that being said, I am worry that it will be able to make the trip from Davenport Iowa to California.
  1. I plan on driving through Denver CO, and staying there with my cousin for a few days to do some hiking.

2. then I plan on driving to Arizona to stay with a good friend for a few days also, also to do some hiking in the Grand Canyon.
  3. Finally to make it back to Corona California.

Once I move back, and find a Manufacturing Engineer position, I plan on keeping the car for a few more months until I find a BLACK MANUAL s60R!

Ultimately, The reason I have created this thread is because I value your guys opinions. I would like your guys input on the necessary maintenance I should do before I start my journey-- and whether or not I am completely out of my mind or not haha.

I have inspected the Timing Belt and I feel I will need to replace it. upon looking under the timing belt covers, I noticed some thin oil near my spark plugs. I know its not a good sign, but I just want to know if it will make it back or not. I have taken some photos and videos, for you guys to view, please let me know what you guys think.

So far, before my travel, I am sure that I will be Replacing:
  • Rear Rim (not sure of the spare can handle that much traveling)
  • Spark Plugs
  • Oil change (10w-30?)
  • Front upper strut mount spring seat bushings (should I replace the actual strut mounts as well?
    -- The owner said he installed new struts, and Volvo dealership confirmed, but said he failed to install new mounts, so there is loud poping noise over bumps.
    -- looking to purchase https://www.1aauto.com/volvo-strut-m...=888656&y=2004
  • Timing Belt? (any recommendations on which kit to purchase? and the part number to the Belt Tensioner I need (My s60 has the longer mount/picture provided)
    --also should I replace the water pump as well?
  • The Dealership said I needed a new battery, but haven't noticed any issues....
  • Brakes? I don't know the last time the pads were replaced, but hoping I don't have to do them until after the trip since my funds are very low...

Anything else you guys suggest I change? please let me know.
If you have any questions, please ask !!! I want to leave May 18th !!

Thanks everyone,

-Cesar

Video Links for Engine Start up/Noise/Oil leaks...

Attached Thumbnails From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7692.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7693.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7703.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7695.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7696.jpg  

From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7704.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7691.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7701.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7702.jpg