Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Road trip from Iowa To California - NEED ADVICE

Looking to make a 3,000-mile road trip. Starting in Iowa -> Denver, CO -> Arizona -> California

My 04 Volvo S60 2.5t Awd is currently at 186,000 Miles. Any suggestion on what Maintenance precautions I need to make before I start my travel?

Are the S60's capable/known for going past 200k?

Also, any suggestions on which timing belt kit to purchase, and what strut mount
bushings to buy as well?

-Cesar

Video Links for Engine Start-up/Noise/Oil leaks...
Video Links for Engine Start up/Noise/Oil leaks...

Attached Thumbnails From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7691.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7692.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7693.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7695.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7696.jpg  

From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7701.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7702.jpg   From Iowa To California - Will we make it? NEED ADVICE-img_7703.jpg  

Last edited by CesarB; 04-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 489 Likes on 470 Posts

For strut mounts, I'd stick to Genuine Volvo / OEM. For the timing belt kit, the big decision is whether to do the water pump or not. If the water pump is original, I'd do the water pump along with the idler and tensioner. The brand of belt is not as critical. Last two I used Conti belts. For other pre-trip maintenance, I'd also consider a transmission drain/fill or flush if you have never serviced the transmission fluid. Considering your driving across mountains, the new fluid will help reduce heat build up in the transmission. How's the coolant? you may want to consider a new thermostat and pressure cap, then do a coolant drain and distilled water flush and refill with new 50/50. Keep in mind not all coolant formulas are aluminum friendly and mix well so check the owners manual for recommended coolant type. Finally, check the brake pads for wear. Oh and fresh oil and filter is a given...

Old 04-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the struts original? I'm guessing they are. FCP sells an all in one strut assembly for less than 300.00 if they have it in stock. Seems like it's almost always back ordered. If not, and you have spring compressors or know someone who does, consider doing the entire strut assembly while you're replacing the strut mounts. You'll have it out of the car and apart anyway. Just the strut mounts will set you back about 160.00 if nothing falls apart and the strut isn't shot when you take it apart. the added 100.00 is for the front end alignment you'll most likely need after the repair.

When I replace a timing belt, new tensioners / idler pulleys, a water pump, and a new serpentine accessory belt and idlers / tensioners are almost always on the parts list. You have to take them apart anyway. May as well replace them and only do the work once.

You're looking at somewhere between 1k and 1.5k in parts and fluids to fix everything yourself. Less if you can somehow get away with just doing the minimum and leave the "extras" alone. However, based on the back of that timing belt I would say idler / tensioner replacement is a must so don't just buy the belt, get the timing belt kit that has all you need. It's not too much more money.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-tbkit331a-oem

That's for a 2005 and not necessarily your car. The link is just to give you an idea of price. If you're going to DIY this job also consider some tools to help you in tight places like these:

Amazon Amazon

Snap on has nicer ones but if you're only going to use them once then you can probably get by with the cheaper stuff and some penetrating fluid to help break the bolts loose.

Last edited by jerick1976; 04-14-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: forgot the alignment cost
Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget about tires as well. If they are reaching the end of their useful life look for a sale and replace them.