Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking to order a 2012 S60 T6 and would like input on color/wheel choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to order a 2012 S60 T6 and would like input on color/wheel choices

Hi everyone!

I am thinking about ordering a black S60 T6 and have a few questions:

- Has anyone compared the black stone and the black sapphire metallic ($550 extra) paint in person? Is it a noticable difference?

- Thinking about upgrading to the Freja diamond wheels ($950 extra at invoice cost). I have not seen them in person, only via the "build your S60" portion on the Volvo website. Any opinions on these items? Do they look good or are they too dark? I want nice looking rims, but I don't want them to look like something I would see on some obnoxious "tricked out" car.

- I am struggling with paying the $1500 Premium package with xenon and moonroof. Any thoughts on this?

So far, I am leaning towards the following:
- T6
- Black Sapphire Metallic with black leather and graphite trim
-Freja diamond wheels
- Multimedia package
- Spare Tire!!! (can't believe it isn't included)
- Struggling with getting the Premium package (Xenon and moonroof)

I am interested in your thoughts! Particularly, those that are seriously shopping like myself or have already made the purchase and have feedback. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Just bought a new T5 last week. Picked Saville Gray metallic, just think it's the best color on this car. Yes, you will see a difference between black and the black sapphire, but as an owner of a black C30, black is a lot of work to keep looking good. But if you are going black, the metallic is worth it! A bit worried about the gray, but time will tell. Went with the beige leather, gorgeous.

Personally, not a fan of the optional wheels, I think the standard 18"s look better. I saw the Freja wheels when they brought the S60 around last year for the "naughty Volvo" tour. Didn't like them, I think the standard wheels look more "upmarket".

But, all a matter of personal choice. Either way, you are getting a great car!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the response. I realize black is a lot of work, but I am ok with it (talk to me in a few months ). You will like the silver. I had two Infinitis that were both silver and they hide the dirt extremely well.

For the "naughty volvo" tour, were they the wheels that come with R-Design (which I don't care for) or are they from the regular T6?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 PM

They had the standard T6 wheels, along with one that had the Freja wheels. Just didn't care for the Freja. Personally, I like the Balder 5 spoke wheels on my T5 best. Simple, attractive, and easy to clean. I drove both T5 and T6, just didn't feel enough "seat of the pants" acceleration advantage to justify the extra $6000 for the T6. Unless you live where AWD is a must, drive a T5, I think you'll be surprised. I have the T5 engine in my C30, and really like this motor.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 AM

You bring up a great point that I didn't price out. First of all, I live in about 40 miles west of Chicago in a suburb that has some rural roads. Unlike this year, we do get a decent amount of snow every year and the roads get slick out by me, but it's not like we live in northern Minnesota or anything like that. You make me seriously question if AWD and an extra 50 horsepower is worth $6K. If this car was rear wheel drive, it would be an easy answer..... YES. But since it's front wheel drive already, maybe it's not worth it.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM

I went to the dealer prepared to buy the T6. I was trading in a 2011 BMW X5 (just could never warm up to it) which had a lot of power and AWD. After driving both, the decision was easy. I think the extra weight of the AWD system, and the power it "consumes" negates the extra hp from the T6. With traction control and FWD, I think the T5 will be fine in snow. The 5 cylinder is such an awesome motor, and since you mentioned that you are ordering, you can order it with all the same options that are available on the T6, including the dynamic suspension and 18" wheels. Give one a drive, and I bet you'll be saving yourself $6000! I do hope they decide to offer the Polestar upgrade for the S60 T5 soon. Its available for my C30 T5. An extra 25-30 hp for the S60 T5 would totally negate the need for the T6, and be a lot less expensive (probably why they don't offer it!). Anxious to hear what you decide.

Attached Thumbnails Looking to order a 2012 S60 T6 and would like input on color/wheel choices-s60-2.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Forgot to add that there is no difference between the models on the interior, same seats, dash, door panels, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Looking to order a 2012 S60 T6 and would like input on color/wheel choices-s60-3.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 AM

I am going to get overruled on one thing from the Mrs. We have 3 children and the oldest will be 10 in a few months. She mentioned that this car could very well end up being his in 6+ years since it will be paid off. She loves the safety features that a Volvo has, but is pretty adamant that, since Chicago weathers can get tricky and we live in a far western suburb with some rural roads, she thinks she would want all-wheel drive for a new driver. So, it looks like I am going with the T6. I drove both... I don't see a huge difference in the engines.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Gotta keep everyone happy! Either way, you are getting a great car. I've had mine for 2 weeks now, just can't say enough on how much I like this car. After driving the X5 for 1 year, the S60 just drives better and is the right size. Congrats on your new car!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Thought I would follow up on this question, since I am ordering the car Monday:

Has anyone compared the black stone and the black sapphire metallic ($550 extra) paint in person? Is it a noticable difference?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM

I just took delivery of a Saville Grey S60 T6. I also live in Chicago and love all wheel drive for that reason. In my opinion there is a noticeable difference between black stone and black sapphire metallic -particularly in sunlight. I like them both, but the sapphire has a bit more sparkle and a discernible blue almost iridescence in light. They are both sharp, but definitely different. I prefer the std Sleipner alloys that come with the T6 to the Freja wheels. Enjoy your Volvo! I'm really enjoying mine.