Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Loosing my appeal to the S60

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loosing my appeal to the S60

I've had the car for 10 months and I'm having a spat of troubles. Last week it was the DIM, it is repaired, I installed it today and all I need to do is turn off the SRS air bag. The dealers are making a big deal of it, talking 45 minutes to do it, etc. Errrrr!

Took the car for a spin and while out I checked the transmission fluid level. Recent flush and I wanted to make sure of the level. Darn!!! I burnt my arm on the engine trying to squeeze in there to get the dip stick. I used another word than darn. The level was fine.

I need to install a bit of refrigerant. I finally found where the low side AC port is located and another what the heck were those engineers thinking. It is directly under the power steering reservoir. I didn't plan on unbuckling a bunch of parts just to shoot some refrigerant.

Normally I put my manifold gauges on the cars. What I really like to do is take the car to my buddy and he recaptures the refrigerant. I take the car home, pull a good long vacuum and install refrigerant.

But I started to think about the AC issue and I don't think it is low refrigerant, I think it is a clutch plate issue. I guess I can consider the bread clip fix or a new clutch plate.

Can the clutch plate be removed on the S60 without removing the compressor and / or removing the belt?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 PM

Thanks

I looked at it and looks like a short term solution. I'll probably buy a new clutch and install it but for the short term I may give the fix a try.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the AC issue on all S60's?

I had an 05 s40 that had may AC compressors replaced and the last time I had them just do the shim thing. I asked a different Volvo dealer repair guy and he said it was a known issue in the s40, but wouldn't be a problem in the s60 when we were looking at them...
I'm not going to be thrilled to be having the same issues with this car now.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 PM

I can't answer your question but I know this --- I've never had this issue on any Jaguars, Caddies, Subaru or other cars I've owned. I've had a rear seal go on one of my Jags but never a clutch problem.

When I get lazy (which happens more often these days) I have three mechanics I trust to do work. One is a mostly AC guy and I might ask him about it.

I did see one of the other mechanics last week and he said he thinks that replacing the AC compressors are not very difficult.

Of course it could be a cabin temp sensor but I would think it would throw some code. I just had my SRS light turned off from my recent DIM repair and they ran the software and didn't see any codes. First time I used them and they only charged $10 to remove the SRS light.

So the way I see it is this --

1. Buy a bones yard compressor for low low cost
  2. Buy a clutch plate and install on exicting compressor
  3. Buy a remanned compressor with clutch - $195
  4. Go with the ghetto elec tie fix and see how long it lasts
At the moment I owned 6 cars. I find that each model has their own particular particularities. The Subbie 2.2 boxter engine is probably the easiest to work on. The AC compressor, Alt. etc. is right at the top and you can work on it in your good clothes without getting dirty. The 2.2 engine....errrrr don't even get me started!!!!

Originally Posted by TLWR
Is the AC issue on all S60's?

I had an 05 s40 that had may AC compressors replaced and the last time I had them just do the shim thing. I asked a different Volvo dealer repair guy and he said it was a known issue in the s40, but wouldn't be a problem in the s60 when we were looking at them...
I'm not going to be thrilled to be having the same issues with this car now.