Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Low oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure at idle

Greetings!

I'll get right down to it;
My 01 s60 I purchased my a family member at 160k miles. Just recently, 171k, I noticed an alarm on the DIM that indicated I have low oil pressure and to shut off the engine immediately.

I've called several volvo dealerships, and spoken to "mechanic managers." Cant get ahold of damn volvo mechanic for 30 seconds.

My issue is either sludge in the oil pan preventing oil from coming back. I've found air bubbles on my dipstick after the engine reaches operating temp. This makes me think my oil sump seals are leaking.

I took the car in to a shop that has worked on the car before I owned it and they charged me 200$ just to tell me that the PSI of the oil is below or at 10 on idle. Those crooks charged me 200 to tell me something I already knew ~_~

I'm at a cross of just trading it in, or spending the 350$ for a new oil pan and seals and for the labor (another 300 dollars.)

In addition to the bubbles on the dipstick, ive also found that there is something whining from the engine below 2k RPM's.

Maybe someone can give me some insight on whether to sell the car (which I love very much) or spend the 1,000+ to keep it running past 250k which I had intended.

I maintain my vehicle regulary but I fear the past owner did not.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably trade it in. Oil trap may be bad as well.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Default Hi

This is my opinion and do not get it for granted ! The car has not too much value left ... You'll get few $ as trade in. If you have a good transmission (better if manual) consider removing the oil pan and clean the pick-up screen. Removing and cleaning the oil pump will be a good idea too. After that use a good oil brand. See two photos taken from Volvo engines with similar problem. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Low oil pressure at idle-oilpumpsludge.jpg   Low oil pressure at idle-cloggedscreen.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably needs oil sump seals if your removing the pan, that is what is causing your low oil psi more than likely. Not real easy or cheap.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 AM

Thanks volvofag (quirky username) ~_^

I think I'm going to drop the oil pan in a few weeks when I get paid again.

I've done my research and found that the PCV hoses and valve gets sludged too.

In regards to dropping the oil pan - how hard is it to reach to oil pan and drop it completely. Will I need a lift or any special tools? Would it benefit me more to just buy a new pan or is it possible to clean out my current one.

The oil pump; how hard is that to reach?

If anyone has any links to documentation of the process or can point me in the right direction to getting atleast some sort of outline I'm more than confident I can service the car myself in a day of knuckle bustin.