Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Many problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 01:42 PM
|
Angry Many problems

Please help me to know what is wrong with my car.
I bought my car from a dealer, its a 2001 volvo s60, had about 80,000 miles on it at the time. When I got the car I did the normal things, new; brakes, tires, roaders (sp), and of course and oil change. Later I put a after market radio in my car because my radio didn't work. Later that week I left my lights on, and my battery died, I jumped my car and then my radio, defrost, and sun roof didn't open. I later learned your not suppose to jump this car. I since then have gotten my radio and my defrost to work. Then my car has been jerking when I brake my car literally hops (a shutter feeling). I took it into the dealership and they told me it was my oil pan thing so 600$ later I drove off satisfied... About a week later it started doing it again. Then my I had to replace my whole light casting thing. (sorry I don't know much about cars) Since then, my car still shutters, Now my brakes have been making a whistling sound so I took it in to a mechanic and he told me my brake booster is leaking and that this was rare. While I have been waiting for the part to come in, I was driving down the road (with my cruise control on) and my car suddenly decelerated and then I pressed the accelerate but after my attempts of pressing the pedal to the floor nothing happened. My gas pedal completely stopped working I pulled over to the side of the road and my car was saying something like ENGINE SEVICE REQUIRED QUICKLY ( not the exact message but something along the lines) my car started jerking and eventually died.

After putting over 2,000$ into this car it has died, I'm extremely disappointed, is there something that can explain why my car would die in this fashion?

Also, My power steering pump had a huge leek in it, What would cause this? I replace it for about 365$

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:02 PM
Administrator

Brake rotors warped causing the shuttering?

The electronic throttle body might be bad. But it might be covered under the extended warranty by Volvo.

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:12 PM
JP

I also feel that the cause of the gas pedal not working is your ETM (electronic throttle module). Sorry you've had so many problems with your car. The 2001's are the first year for these cars and have a few wrinkles to iron out.

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:08 AM
Default Many Problems

I have a 2002 S-60 AWD, and had to replace the brake booster at about 145,000 miles. I have suspicions that my Volvo dealer is perhaps a little too aggressive in suggesting repairs that may not be totally necessary so I had the job done by a mechanic I know and trust. He confirmed the problem and replaced it with a new Volvo booster. He said the fact that they carry these in stock means Volvo expects the to wear out.

Old 03-12-2010 | 05:05 PM
|

I replaced my rotors thinking that was the shutter problem, then replaced the oil pan thinking that was the problem. Still shutters but gets worse when it gets to 1/4 of a tank left. I had the brake booster orders by a mechanic I always use and it's gonna cost me about 450$.
Thank you, it just is all overwhelming at times and every time I take it to the dealership it seems like I pay 900$ and still have a problem.
I heard they recalled a part on my car, do you know what part that was?

Old 03-12-2010 | 07:51 PM
Administrator

Are the control arm bushings worn out?

Old 03-26-2010 | 08:05 PM
|

Yeah they have a little give in them. I've been meaning to replace them but I've recentally noticed my car shutters the worst when I'm left with about 1/4 of a tank left.

I took my volvo after not driving it for a week (since it put me out on the side of the road) and once again all they could tell me was that I had an after market radio in my car and once again couldnt tell me anything.

As soon as I drove off the lot, my srs airbag service urgent light came on.
So since I've bought my car I have had these lights come on:
SRS airbage service urgent- cause unknown
Engine " " service urgent- cause unknown
position bulb failiure- many attempts have been made to fix this but no one can figure out why it keeps coming up when the bulb works.
Alarm system service required- these take a while to scroll threw,

My throttle body is covered under warnety but every time I take it up there to ask for them to replace it they clean it out, they've cleaned it out 3 times.

I will have the bushings replaced, and talk to them again about getting my throatle body fixed.
Thanks for all your help, but can you tell me what the air bag thing is all about?

Old 03-26-2010 | 09:29 PM
Administrator

It could be a few things. Sadly one is it could be coming up from the aftermarket radio.
Did you install it? If so did you get the software download to remove the factory radio?

Old 03-27-2010 | 10:11 PM
|

no i didnt install it, best buy did.
i recentally purchased another volvo radio so they can run the scan

Old 03-27-2010 | 10:26 PM
Administrator

Well the dealer could have downloaded a software into the car that would disable the radio as a module and it would eliminate the radio as a fault they could say it could be.