Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

May be joining the V60 community

Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Default May be joining the V60 community

Hopefully get a better response than my last thread :P

Just did something crazy and ordered a 2018 V60 off carvana. Former rental with 11 months of service and 19k miles.

Planning on getting a pre purchase inspection in the 7 day window. Do you recommend a dealership? Any other recommendations in the NW Chicago area that know Volvos?

Anything in particular to be aware of with these cars?

Anyway, I hope this works out and looking forward to joining this community. It's great to get back into a wagon after trading in my 03 Passat wagon 6 years ago for our minivan.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 PM

Not much going on over here...

Anyway, took delivery from Carvana of my 2018 V60 today, just about 3 hours ago. Initial impressions:
  • It drives really well. I can definitely feel the difference between regular and ECO+ modes. I prefer regular, of course. Suspension is not firm, but neither is it too cushy. Nice balance. Steering feels pretty precise. Overall, a big upgrade from my 2003 Infiniti.
  • Sport seats are really comfortable. Nice power/memory on the driver side. Manual passenger seat. Not a deal-breaker, but the seat recline control in this car has to be the most difficult to reach I've experienced, with the seat belt in the way and jammed in by the B pillar. It's a little baffling that manual seat controls are even a thing in Volvos.
  • Also with the passenger seat, it's practically impossible to open the glove box all the way when you're in the passenger seat. Glad we don't use the glove box often.
  • Rear seat room is not great. Fortunately, we're not large people. I'm 5'9 with short legs and I have just enough room to sit comfortably in the back. I can't imagine anyone much taller/longer-legged than me feeling comfortable back there are all. Fortunately, I don't ever expect my daughters to get huge.
  • I like the digital display showing speed, tach, and other information. The different themes are kinda neat. I still have a lot of playing around to do, but so far, I like it.
  • The navi display looked small when I test drove a V60 CC last week, and it's small now. However, at least it's a pretty clear display. I don't understand why they couldn't see fit to bump up the size at some point or as an option. Resolution is good. Controls are not immediately intuitive, though. It took a lot of fiddling around to figure out how to enter basic information/addresses. On the other hand, the rear camera is clear and bright and connecting my phone was simple.
  • Speaking of phone, there is about a 1 second lag with bluetooth on my Galaxy S9. It's not as bad as my wife's Odyssey, but certainly worse than the numerous rental Kias, Hyundais, Chevys, Dodges, etc.
  • It's a beautiful car. The condition is actually quite good. No curb rash, only a few paint chips/scrapes on the bumpers (which I believe I can get Carvana to pay to fix), and a small windshield chip (which they should also pay to fix). The "detailing" leaves a bit to be desired (that's definitely a Carvana issue), but I can live with that.
  • Overall, the main thing I'm still on the fence about is the size. It's a surprisingly snug car. I can feel it a bit more having had more time to explore it, get my kids in it, etc. I still have to bring up our skis/snowboard and see how it fits inside with the middle section folded down. Or if I need to get a roof rack. And a trailer hitch for a bike rack. I'm 90% sure I'm keeping it and living with some of the drawbacks, as the pros are greater. Pre-purchase inspection at the dealership on Monday should help solidify the decision.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:42 PM

How was the buying experience? Cost?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 AM

So far, the buying experience has been pretty positive. Customer service has been really good. They do provide some neat little freebies (cup, cheapo sunglasses, car wash kit, 10 referral coupons for $500 off). Delivery was right on time (I live about an hour away from the vending machine and didn't want to schlep all the way down there).

On the down side, the "detailing" was not that detailed. A lot of crumbs all over the place, water marks from rain on one of the rear interior door panels and seat, undisclosed paint chips and rock chip in windshield.

I'm still in the 7 day test drive window with option to return, but generally good so far.

The real test will be how the address any issues that come up during the pre-purchase inspection at the dealership later today.

Price was $23.7k. It was the only 2018 V60 I could find within 150 miles of me that wasn't a Polestar.