Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Might buy 04 S60 qustion on CPO

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might buy 04 S60 qustion on CPO

I'm going in the morning to look at an 04 S60 2.4 with 31k miles for $19,200. First question is do you think this is
a good price? I've seen the carfax and it looks like it was a dealer car for the first 10k miles and they did a certified preowned
and sold it to its first and only individual, since the report is saying one owner. The carfax report says it is a volvo certifed
preowned with the logo on the carfax report. The question I'm trying to ask is wether that car is now covered under the 6yr 100k mile warranty and what is the difference in the original warranty which it still should have some left and the extended you get with a
CPO car?

I hope someones up late tonight to answer as I'm off in the moring to do the paperwork.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 03-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Default RE: Might buy 04 S60 qustion on CPO

This is the exact situation I had when I bought my 2004 S60 2.5T. I bought it used w/37k miles from a Chevy dealer. The CarFax report had the CPO logo clearly printed and said when it was sold as CPO to the previous owner. The Chevy dealer couldn't vouch for the CPO warranty of course. I bought it on a Saturday and bought it without being able to verify the CPO coverage would transfer. I figured that it was a good deal no matter what, and odds are it would be covered under the CPO warranty (CarFax doesn't just make stuff up)

The Monday after I bought it I called the Volvo National Customer Care #. The agent I got was completely unhelpful, saying I would need the original paperwork and the original owner would have to send in the transfer, etc. I had to argue with him and he eventually told me the warranty could be transferred for $25 but I'd have to talk to Apco Insurance to see if they would transfer it without the original paperwork. He gave me the toll free # to Apco in Atlanta and I spoke to a very friendly agent that told me exactly what to do.

Exactly as Apco explained, I received a card in my name, letter confirming the transfer, etc.

For the record, my local Volvo dealer is great to work with BUT their records leave a bit to be desired. The CarFax report showed they sold it as CPO but they had no record of themselves! Their service computer showed the warranty coverage to 100,000 miles with a $50 deductible, but the service manager couldn't tell me how to officially transfer the warranty either...

It all worked out well for me, but a smidge more frustrating than you would think.

6,000 miles later, I'm still a delighted owner.

Cheers, Steve

Old 03-25-2006, 11:49 PM

Steve,

Do you have all the numbers still. I would like to go ahead and start this week on getting it transfered. I would think that
if you take the car in to a volvo deler they would know by vin what the warranty coverage is on the car.

Thanks for the ensight.

Jeff

Old 03-25-2006, 11:58 PM

Here is what I read on the volvo U.S. site and it really sounds like the coverage follows the car not the owner.
I hope I don't have a problem on the extended warranty part.

http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/PreOw...S/Warranty.htm

Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Hi Jeff,

The Apco # I originally called was 866-435-4446. The paperwork I got from them has 800-538-4181 shown instead. I would think a quick call to someone there on Monday would get the ball rolling. I sent them a letter asking them to transfer the warranty to my name and send me a copy of the information; and I sent them a copy of my registration to prove I was the new owner and a check for $25. They sent me three mailings over the course of 4-6 weeks.

They were very easy to work with.

Congrats, Steve

Old 03-26-2006, 01:38 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely get that started tomorrow.

Jeff

Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 AM

The warranty will follow th ecar as long as it is transferred within a certain amount of time, I cannot recall the timeframe.

Now to the warranty. In my experience it only covers major items. Engine, Tranny. I have had a couple items happen in the past 6 months that to me clearly seamed like warranty items...but were not covered. Just make sure you know exactly what the warranty covers because what I was "sold" and what I "recieved" were not the same.
A prime example is my S60 was shifting odd so I bring it in and was told I needed upgraded software to correct the problem. Now to me this seamed like a warranty item....but no and $150 later while the problem is fixed it leaves me wondering why I even have a warranty that doesn't cover much.

The warranty raised the price of my vehicle by about $1500 +/-