Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 2012 S60 T5 - oh oh

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2012 S60 T5 - oh oh

Took delivery in early June and so far a fuel sensor has failed and been replaced, and the ALTERNATOR of all things died and had to be replaced - yikes. Makes me wonder what kind of quality control they have at the factory when two pieces of hardware fail within the first 1,000 miles.

I'm assuming they got all the bugs out of their transmissions on the newer models right? Right?? The engine on this model downshifts pretty dramatically when the brakes are applied - per the owners manual this is a safety feature, but it seems much more extreme than any automatic tranny I've ever had. Per the manual you can override this feature in ECO mode, but this model doesn't have ECO mode as an option, oh well.

In addition for a 5 banger turbo the mileage is pretty disheartening, I barely got 20mpg to the tank with mostly city driving on my last fill up - I've got an 11yr old Mercedes SUV that weights 2000lbs more that gets just about the same mileage. I expected better fuel economy, if I knew I was gonna get 20MPG city I would've taken the T6.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Love mine so far. Sport mode rocks.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I should've added that the car is definitely fun to drive and the Nav, Bluetooth, Voice Command and USB are well thought out and function really well. I'm a little more concerned about this car because we bought it instead of leasing with the intent of keeping it for a long time. Major hardware failures don't inspire a lot of confidence.

I haven't driven it in sport mode, I had that in the Saab we just returned lease end and all it pretty much did was automatically downshift and run a gear lower than normal - didn't do anything for handling or suspension other than better responsiveness due to engine braking.

What kind of MPG you getting on your T5? I'm getting ~20 city and ~28 highway, if you're driving in sport mode you must be less than that correct?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Default 2012 s-60

My wife got her's in May got little over 6K on it and no problem other than the two recalls for fuel problems.She's get 25.2 in city/highway driving.Haven't made a road trip to compare all highway mileage

Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Im in the new car market and considering a new volvo... these posts make me wonder... please keep us updated.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 PM

My outside temp gauge is not showing a temp. Can this be set or reset?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pagillette
My outside temp gauge is not showing a temp. Can this be set or reset?
It's probably a bad sensor, warranty item.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 PM

10 days ago was on a road trip on the interstate passing full throttle at 85mph when I get a thud and a CEL. Lovely. Babied it home and it was misfiring accelerating off the light at the bottom of the exit ramp but no CEL. Stopped the engine to go to the store and it ran fine after the restart.

It stored the code, dealer said it was a misfire on Cylinder 5. Said they checked the entire fuel system and everything checks out ok. "It's not a big deal ho hum, probably bad gas". I've been running nothing but BP, Shell or Costco premium through it. Not a big deal? Let's see you try making a left turn through traffic to cross a highway and there's an unexpected loss of power.

I'd prefer a failed alternator to inexplicable gremlins like this.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Thumbs down Ditto

I'm on my second '12 S60. The trans feels like it slips & i'm getting poor MPG. Volvo says there nothing wrong.As well as check engine codes that don't show up. Volvo says they can't find an issue. But my Volvo tech can. So now I left to the Lemmon Law. Stay away from this car. I also had the wonderful experience of being the 1st to show Volvo that they had to recall the car. I had two cars the 1st died at 333, 1072 & 1214 miles on the clock. that one was replaced a week after I got it. The replacement car died at 313 miles. Now I have it back & avg only 20 mpg comb & I have never got more than 24 on the hwy. Far cry from the posted sticker of 20 city 30 hwy. Still Volvo insists there's no issue. Sad because I was a legacy owner...

Old 09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Default @chicagopete - It sounds like we got the same car!

Wow the same issues. Still Volvo says they can't find an issue!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Purchased a 2012 S60 T5 in April. Since then, plagued with slow downshift, vibration and buzzing. Dealer first thought it was loose exhaust heat shield. Later upgraded transmission control module and fuel pump software. Problem persists. Factory rep finally called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain" and suggested I only drive the car in sport mode. In sport mode, vehicle often lurches to a stop.

Definitely a transmission problem. When will Volvo issue another recall?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Default Certain mfrg timeframe?

Is there a timeframe when the transmission issues may have been corrected?

Ie. Before a certain manufacturing date there may be issues, and post a certain date, things are clean?

For those having issues, what are your mfr dates?

Considering buying a T5....

Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 AM

In all fairness since I'm the OP time for a status update (btw @chicagopete is not me). No issues since my last post here re the misfiring over a month ago and have put 2500 more miles on the odometer. Car is behaving now, knock on wood - haven't had to take it in for service for 6 weeks woohoo. MPG is about 20 city and 25 highway, which I'm resigned to.

Really enjoy the car, lots of HP for highway passing. Great seats, have put on a lot of highway miles and extremely comfortable for all passengers front and back. Chose the Multimedia Package, and the sound and electronics are excellent. I've got a 64G stick in the USB drive with the mp3s ripped at best quality speed, and the sound is CD quality.

If I were to do it again though, knowing the mileage on the T5 is lame anyway, I would've gotten the T6. If I'm going to get mediocre mileage at best I'd rather have the extra power and AWD.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:51 PM

its owned by ford now what do you guys expect

Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Hello fellow S60 drivers. I've had my 2012 T5 for about 3 weeks and, so far, I'm still in love with it! However, one thing that puzzles me, for what seems like an overall well made automobile, is that at highway speeds there seems to be quite a lot of what I would describe as mirror wind noise. The car I traded in, 2001 S80, had no mirror wind noise at all. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 PM

I've had my T5 since the latter part of August and no problems so far. I'm pushing 6,000 miles already. We took it on a trip from KY to Florida and we were getting 30 mpg on the all highway driving. Most of the time, with highway commuting and driving around town, I get 25-27 per gallon. I'm pleased with everything about the car so far and hopefully I won't be plagued with the problems some of you seem to be having.

Had no idea that Volvo was owned by Ford now - that is scary! But I have always hard that Volvo was one of the most reliable and safe cars out there and I hope that isn't changing.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DBurchHero
its owned by ford now what do you guys expect
EPIC FAIL !!!!!!!!!!! Volvo has not been owned by Ford for awhile now. It is Chinese owned.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:01 PM

I blame some of the fuel issues on fuel companies. They charge lots of money for fuel that has up to %10 ethanol. I suspect the ethanol in the gasoline the cause for poor gas mileage and other issues new car owners are experiencing

Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Ethanol is garbage. It is one of the dumbest things hippies have promoted. I am all for cleaner fuel and being green if it is smart. Using land and TONS of water for a food source that we turn into fuel is stupid. Also, Ethanol is about 15% less effecient then pure gasoline. For an easy example put it this way. Lets say you get 100mpg on pure gas, you would only get around 85-90 with a 10% blend. Other then that, fuel is not that much different. I live close to a fuel farm that supplies a lot of southern wisconsin. It is this huge area with gas tanks all over. They look like short, fat white silos with the ground built up into a berm around them in case they ever leak. It is piped up from a refinery north of Chicago. From there every gas station stops in and gets the SAME gas. Shell, Citgo, Kwik Trip, Chevron, Road Ranger all get their gas from the same place. To leagaly be able to say detergent gasoline all they have to do is pour in a 5 gallon quart of it into an entire gas tanker. When the gas is pumped into the tanker now it is "that" gas. A Shell truck pulls up, now thats shell gas in the truck tank. Right after that a Citgo truck pulls up. In that tank it is now Citgo. What really affects gas is the old tanks it is dumped in from the trucks to the ground.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:51 PM

I feel your pain! The AC compressor on my S60 fell apart shortly after I purchased it .
P.S. Have you driven a Ford lately..

Quick Reply: My 2012 S60 T5 - oh oh