Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

My 2012 S60 T5 - oh oh

Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Downer

My first 2012 S60 T5 also exhibited slipping transmission and abrupt downshifts at about 5500 miles, spent countless hours with regional Volvo After Sales Reps and Volvo Techs. They finally tossed in the towel and agreed to replace the vehicle.
New replacement vehicle, 1400 miles, transmission is not slipping, however when in sports mode coming to a very slow rolling stop or pulling in to a parking spot will jump. The first time it happened I was like uh oh, better get the insurance card out, it felt like I hit someone. . I’m really curious for other drivers out there to test this and see if they get the same thing.
Guess I will just have to brake and park faster...
The above in combination with having all four tires road force balanced discovered 3 out of 4 OEM tires with flat spots… The dealer replaced the entire set of 4, and road force balanced them, I still have a vibration issue at about 66 78ish.. Volvo Customer Care is comical and they state “no further warranty action will be offered”. I am glad this is my first leased vehicle and in 24 months, I can walk away from it.. Because that’s my plan.

Last edited by Boomznh; 11-08-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Boomznh
My first 2012 S60 T5 also exhibited slipping transmission and abrupt downshifts at about 5500 miles, spent countless hours with regional Volvo After Sales Reps and Volvo Techs. They finally tossed in the towel and agreed to replace the vehicle.
New replacement vehicle, 1400 miles, transmission is not slipping, however when in sports mode coming to a very slow rolling stop or pulling in to a parking spot will jump. The first time it happened I was like uh oh, better get the insurance card out, it felt like I hit someone. . I’m really curious for other drivers out there to test this and see if they get the same thing.
Guess I will just have to brake and park faster...
The above in combination with having all four tires road force balanced discovered 3 out of 4 OEM tires with flat spots… The dealer replaced the entire set of 4, and road force balanced them, I still have a vibration issue at about 66 78ish.. Volvo Customer Care is comical and they state “no further warranty action will be offered”. I am glad this is my first leased vehicle and in 24 months, I can walk away from it.. Because that’s my plan.
That truly does suck. Mine is still running fine since the original problems got solved, but hearing your tale of woe makes me question what kind of quality control they have in place at the factory. I'm not an engineer, but you would think that major components like upthread faulty A/C compressors, alternators and transmissions would be tested before they ship these vehicles. These aren't minor software bugs.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 PM

I think it go to the point of the Volvo AfterSales Manager and the Service Manager of the dealership got tired of hearing from me. I would walk in the dealership and everyone would avoid eye contact and scatter in to corners.
I only really use the Sports mode when I need the extra power, hill climbing, passing etc. So I am fine with waiting to see if they can correct the issue with a software upgrade.

This vibration issue is driving me nuts, the rims all check out perfect, the tires are road force balanced and perfect. Brakes, rotors all check out.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM

My wife and I bought a 2012 S60 T5 at the end of September. I wish I had seen this forum before we purchased the vehicle, I thought I did extensive research ... I guess not. We've had ours in three times for noise issues. My wife first noticed a high-pitched whistling noise coming from the passenger side while at highway speed (65+ MPH) and another noise that sounded like chirping coming from the rear driver's side. The first time we took the car in, I just dropped it off and they said they'd take care of it. Got a call later in the day saying that they could not replicate the noise. I resigned myself into believing that my wife was hearing things and went on with life. The next time we were both in the car, I was driving and heard both noises. Took the car in and had several different technicians ride along to see if one of them could hear the noise. After several trips to the nearest Interstate and back one of the technicians finally says that he hears the chirping noise but not the high-pitched whistle. By this time, I am a little aggrevated so I track down the Sales Manager and explain to him my problem. He goes and gets the lead service manager to ride along with me. The service manager claims to not be able to hear the high-pitched whistle either but he does hear the chirping noise. The dealership's resolution to this is to give me "speed tape" AKA masking tape to put on the car in various places until I can isolate the noise!! Talk about customer service. Wanting the problem fixed, I take the free roll of masking tape back to the house and begin to put it over the window seals, side-view mirror, etc. and finally isolate the noise to the mirror. I return to Volvo and get a new junior service manager to ride along. Keep in mind, that they still haven't fixed the chirping noise. The junior service manager rides along and is able to hear the chirping noise and the high-pitched whistle. Finally!! This was Friday, December 9th. Volvo kept the car over the weekend and gave me a service loaner. I finally hear back from them on Tuesday, December 13th. They say they have both noises fixed. This morning I go to the dealership at 7:30AM. They pull the car around and the same junior service manager and I go for a test drive to make sure the noises are gone. The chirping noise is still there but the high-pitched whistle is gone. Evidentially the gaskets between the mirrors and the body of the car are no good and need to be replaced. The service manager claims there is a "fix" in the system for the gaskets so be sure to get new ones installed on your S60s next time you have them in. Currently Volvo still has our car and is working on fixing the chirping noise. Any suggestions on what this could be or if any of you are experiencing similar problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by chucktownS60; 12-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Default jarring downshifts

I've just started experiencing jarring downshifts on my 2012 S60 T5--just after hitting 5500 miles on the OD. I've read that a couple others have had the same issue. thought maybe this could be due to cold weather, but I've had two other T5s in the last couple of years, and never had this problem.

has anyone seen resolution to this yet?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by chucktownS60
My wife first noticed a high-pitched whistling noise coming from the passenger side while at highway speed (65+ MPH)
Got a 2012 S60 T5 a month ago. I hear this whistling from the drivers side above 45 MPH. Thanks for info I'm gonna contact my dealer.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Thumbs down No fix in the work that I have seen

Posted as ALFA7777 before

I now have 18k on car #2. 1st one was replaced as both my cars brought the fuel pump cut off to light withVolvo back in Feb/Mar. I have had my car in more time then I wish to list. What I have seen through several dealers that they 1st see the same issues with the trans as I report. This is till they call Volvo Corp. After that it's "Unable to Dup". I'm also currently waiting for AC comp #3 to come in & be installed. With respect to the tranny it only get's worse. Once when it down shifted it biased power for a second or two to just the right wheel. Because it was in the middle of a 90 degree left turn at speed it pulled the car onto the grass. Thankfully there was nothing to hit & no damage or harm was done. Still Volvo refuses to aknowledge theres an issue. Yet Chrysler had plans to use the same Asian 6 speed dual clutch trans for 2013 model year. They have since dropped that plan due to known issues with the Asian TF-60sn tranny (this is a VW designed trans known to VW as the 09G or their DSG trans). Who would have thought Chrysler would take the high road over Volvo. Looks like "Tony" (FIAT) actually fixed Chrysler, who would have guessed it Yet Volvo still says no issues are known. I also have a loud growling noise that comes from the air box when its 85 & above outside (Florida car). I should also report I have never seen 30mpg as Volvo claims, ever! 25.8 MPG on the HWY (filled up & ran to E all on the tpk) is as high as I have seen while leaving the tranny to do it's thing. Once I did get 28.7 with the AC off & keeping the trans in man & shifting myself. Even when doing this I still felt the hard downshifts when braking. I also noticed that the tranny takes almost a full second to shift from 1st to 2nd. Even after reporting all this & a factory tech being flown down to inspect the car. Still their position is that there's no issue. The factory tech who came down smugly said "That's why there's a warranty". A warranty is only good if the company backing it can do more than say "Unable to Duplicate"! I also have heard the wind noise coming from the door by the mirror. This is evident when the sunroof is open. I had mentioned this early on, but let it go due to the other pressing issues. It's sad really, Volvo designed a great car but it seems that the quality control, which happened after the Chinese (Geely) bought them. Looks like the Chinese business model has started a lot sooner then we all thought. This car had potential to unseat the Geramans. Personally the fact that they claim that the transmisson is designed to do all the inconsistant things it does is BS. If someone ok'd this for sale, this is a decision that ranks up there with the one Coke made in 1984 to change the formula of Coke. Volvo if you're listening if your going to make it in the US market might I suggest "Volvo Classic"! Has anyone noticed the the small rear door windows are made in CHINA! So at this point it's in my atty's hands, since Volvo's stance is to stick their head in a hole! I really miss my old S60, I should have never sold it.

I'm now A former "Volvo Legacy Owner"

Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Volvo owned by F.O.R.D.

Originally Posted by volvo608
EPIC FAIL !!!!!!!!!!! Volvo has not been owned by Ford for awhile now. It is Chinese owned.
I'm pretty sure that Ford owned Volvo into 2010. That's not that long ago:

Ford sells Volvo to Chinese carmaker Geely for $1.5 billion - New York Daily News

Ford Sells Volvo Car Brand to China's Geely, For $1.5 Billion | Fast Company

However, I'm sure that Geely hasn't made many changes yet. However, they will kick in soon.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by greggtwogs
I've just started experiencing jarring downshifts on my 2012 S60 T5--just after hitting 5500 miles on the OD. I've read that a couple others have had the same issue. thought maybe this could be due to cold weather, but I've had two other T5s in the last couple of years, and never had this problem.

has anyone seen resolution to this yet?
The only downshifts I've noticed happen automatically when coasting into a stop. Per the owner's manual that's how it's designed. I also have an independent mechanic who's owned Volvo's for 20 years test drive it, he says mine is functioning normally. Sounds like you guys above have much more serious downshifting issues than the normal engine braking, which is quite disturbing.

I haven't had any problems since the original ones noted upthread and repaired within the first 2,000 miles, currently I'm at 9,000 miles.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Administrator

I've owned Volvo's since 1987. I have really never felt my car shift into 1st or 2nd while coming to a stop. I do feel it downshift a little when coasting down a steep hill. I'm coasting down a large hill going 55 or 60 and I feel it down shift and the motor helps break a little. I don't really like that all the time. I usually drive in the S mode.

The thing about the S mode in my car is that it actually shifts a little sooner when I drive with a light foot. I like to drive with about 23% throttle in efforts to save a little on gas. Going up hill I may drive with about 25 - 28% throttle while accelerating. When driving above 30% throttle it shifts later. I'd imagine the average person would drive with about 32 - 34% throttle when starting off.

I like driving in the S mode the most because I like my max power available when ever I need it. Don't want to have to think about reaching down and switching the button just to get agressive response.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM

If the hard downshift is by design, one would think it would do it from mile 1, not develop at 4 to 5 thousand miles. I have reviewed my owner's manual and have not seen anything suggesting it’s by design; however I suppose it’s possible they have updated since I took delivery.
Glad you are not having the same issues as most. Luckily I do not have the wind noise issue nor do I have the hard down shift in regular drive mode now that the vehicle has been replaced. (knock on wood) I took delivery of the second car in late September and have just about 3500 miles on it to date.. Time for a road trip and get some miles on it. I also solved my vibration issue, by adjusting the tire pressure, which was all over the place and talked Michelin in to replacing two front tires for me.

Originally Posted by chicagopete
The only downshifts I've noticed happen automatically when coasting into a stop. Per the owner's manual that's how it's designed. I also have an independent mechanic who's owned Volvo's for 20 years test drive it, he says mine is functioning normally. Sounds like you guys above have much more serious downshifting issues than the normal engine braking, which is quite disturbing.

I haven't had any problems since the original ones noted upthread and repaired within the first 2,000 miles, currently I'm at 9,000 miles.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM

Update. Purchased a 2012 S60 T5 in April. Since then, plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. At one point, service department thought it was a loose exhaust heat shield. Transmission control module and fuel pump software have been updated. Factory rep called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain," suggested I drive in "sport" mode. Thought the adaptive shift logic might improve matters over time. That has not been the case.

Now at 4,011 miles. Averaging 17.3 mpg.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Another recall. This one for underbody coating that may penetrate fuel lines.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Update. Purchased a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed it as a loose exhaust shield. Factory rep later guessed it was "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain," suggested we drive only in "sport" mode. Thought "adaptive shift logic" would improve matters over time. That has NOT been the case.

Recently took the car into the dealer for annual service. Once again, complained about the drivetrain problem. Dealer now says Volvo has acknowledged the problem exists (other owners have voiced similar complaints) but has yet to initiate a recall repair. Service writer thanked us for our patience.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Update. Purchased a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed it as a loose exhaust heat shield, later a factory rep said it was "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain."

At a recent service, dealer told me Volvo has acknowledged that the problem exists (other owners have voiced similar complaints) but has yet to initiate a recall repair.

Received a Volvo online survey about my last service experience. Graded it "Poor."

Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Update. Purchased a 2012 S60T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. Dealer initially diagnosed it as a loose exhaust shield, later a factory rep said it was "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain." At my last service, dealer said Volvo has acknowledged exists (other owners have voiced similar complaints) but has yet to initiate a recall repair.

A friend recently had work done at the dealership. The service manager's new S60, which is sometimes used to provide shuttle service for customers, is exhibiting the same problems.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Administrator

YUK!!! I went and looked at the S60 R and that car looked so nice. SMH

Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Received many compliments from friends and acquaintances about my S60's styling, interior space and seat comfort. But once I take them for a ride, the noisy drivetrain always puts them off.

I can only answer them honestly when they ask, "How do you like your car?"

I find it odd that Volvo has not yet issued another transmission software recall.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Update. Purchased a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. Dealer initially diagnosed it as loose exhaust shield, later factory rep said it was "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain." In April 2012, dealer said Volvo has acknowledged that the problem exists (other owners have voiced similar complaints) but has yet to initiate a recall repair.

Contacted Volvo Cars of North America Customer Care Center. Asked if Volvo technical service bulletin TJ-25994 dated 3/13/12 is applicable to my car.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gstuessi
Hello fellow S60 drivers. I've had my 2012 T5 for about 3 weeks and, so far, I'm still in love with it! However, one thing that puzzles me, for what seems like an overall well made automobile, is that at highway speeds there seems to be quite a lot of what I would describe as mirror wind noise. The car I traded in, 2001 S80, had no mirror wind noise at all. Has anyone else noticed this?
yeah on some cars if you look at the mirror housing you will see a gap all the way around, get some trim tape and wrap it around the gap and no more whistle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 2012 S60 T5 - oh oh