Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

My S60 Progress Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My S60 Progress Report

Well i guess its my turn to talk about my car. The reason i havent posted anything is because before i ask any questions, or make comments i like to know i have a feel for what im talking about, ripping on, or praising. So here goes.
For the most part this car seems to be mechanically awesome. I get lots of great compliments, and stares. My MPG is climbing up. im getting 19.1 mpg in the city. So im going well over 300 miles on one tank. This makes me very happy. And basically clues me in that the engine is running very well. Now there are some things i noticed that im not so sure about. I have done the search and some topics have come up however certain aspects of them i couldnt find. so i think i need something more definative.

First off the main thing that i wonder about the car is, when i disengage the clutch(push it down) There is no sound. However some times, usually in the lower gears, when i engage sometimes two things will happen. one, i will hear a faint thump sound, or two it seems to grab hard, not fluid or smooth. im still getting the hang of trying to get the ratio right. This could also be due in part that the first 3 gears are the most used, so is that wear on the clutch or is it, normal cause the clutch has to handle 300hp. Now i know my exhaust backfires, and from what i have read that is normal, and to be honest, i love that, just lik e a rally car. could that be the noise im hearing when i engage the clutch. cause i also hear it when i am in first driving very slowly and i put on the gas alittle, like in a parking lot, then let off i hear a little thump. its faint but i can hear it.

Secondly, Im well aware the tires rub the inside of the tire well on my car especially. I know you guy reccomend steering stops for that. Question is are they necessary or is it no big deal.

third, This one i think i have the answer to. When i park, and turn off my car. I hear a click click click comming from the car when i get out. i know i weight like 240 lbs. but im a guy lol. so its normal, but it sounds like a creaking suspension sound. Now if im not mistaken since my suspension is electronically controlled. Is that the car basically adjusting itself. I am pretty sure my parents navigator does the same thing im not sure, cause it doesnt make that noise when i get in ever.

Lastly when i accellerate quickly, in first gear there is a small rattling noise that seems to originate somewhere under the shifter. Im really not worried about it. But if that noise indicates something, let me know. it goes away after i shift to second and so forth. I know cars make noises.

Sigh, okay i love my car. things may need to be worked out, but it has been a wonderful purchase.

Now Tech, i know you work in a shop. Would you advise me to come in perhaps get the oil changed and perhaps get you or someone in your shop to poke around and test drive it. it has a sticker saying the next scheduled oil change is at 30,000 miles and im at 27,700. OOOrrrr, if you want, i would be willing to let you test drive it, and just listen and see some of this stuff for yourself, and i'd be willing to pay you, i really dont mind either way. I dont want to bother you or inconvienence you in any way. If i brought it to the shop, what kinda $$ am i looking at.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: My S60 Progress Report

1. You might have a bad upper torque mount. Also the clutch is very very touchy on these cars. I hate them because they are so touchy. Also on most of the manual transmisson cars dating back to the mid 90's when you shift the Idle has a tendensy to hang at a higher RPM till you release the clutch.

2. I would leave the tire rub alone. If you have the steering stops done you will regret it.
Instead of taking one football feild to turn around like it takes you now. You will need 2 if you have them done.

3. It could be that or it could also be the throttle system finishing shutting down. It takes them a few seconds to shut down all the way.

4. If you are still under factory warranty take it in. I believe there is a Tech Note about that. It is something with the shifter cables making the noise. Usually they will end up replacing both cables because of it.

Our oil changes are a little more than I would like them to be. But I believe it is still cheaper than the Dealer. Also I would change it every 3,000 miles not like the Dealer is recomending at 7,500.

If you want you could bring it in and REQUEST me to work on it.
I will PM you the Info and you can call and make an Appointment and find out how much the oil changes are.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:30 PM

if i have a bad upper torque mount, that and the trottle cables should still be under warrenty correct?

my warrenty runs out march of 08 , and does the dealer charge if i bring it in for an inspection for things like that.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

1.The upper torque should be Warranty and the shifter cables should be under warranty.

They should not charge if still under warranty.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:21 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if this recall applies to your steering (tyre rubbing) symptom:

2004 Volvo S60 Recall ID from NHTSA: 04V029000[/align]

Auto Recall Date: 01/16/2004
Vehicle Component: STEERING:LINKAGES
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 29986
2004 VOLVO S60 Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE FRONT CONTROL ARMS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED CORRECTLY AND, AS A RESULT, THE STUD AND NUT THAT SECURE THE ARM TO THE SPINDLE MAY LOSE THEIR INITIAL AXIAL TENSION. UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, THE STEERING MAY BECOME LESS RESPONSIVE AND THE DRIVER MAY EXPERIENCE STEERING WHEEL PLAY.
Defect Consequence:
THIS DRIVING CONDITION COULD EVENTUALLY LEAD TO SEPARATION BETWEEN THE FRONT CONTROL ARM AND THE SPINDLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW TYPE OF NUT. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 16, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLVO CARS AT 1-800-458-1552.
Notes: VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC., R133

Tech, does S60 share the clutch master cylinder with the brake master cylinder? It seems that all S60s have recalls on the brake master cylinder, and I am wondering if this is causing some of the clutch/gear symptoms on SteelKinght's S60. Or if the symptom occurs only in certain gears, the synchros could be worn out due to the previous owner's abuse?

JPN

Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I forget if they share the fluid with the brakes. (Rarely see a manual trans S60)

For the steering it might apply to his car but don't know for sure. He would have to have the Dealer run his Vin# to find out.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Tech !

JPN

Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 AM

I have an apointment for my car at the dealership this Friday. The advisor said that that more then could be the upper torque mount. So thank you very very much Tech for that information. I mentioned the popping noise that comes under acceleration, the guy said that is not normal. I have scheduled one of there 85 dollar safety inspections. So i will know everything that is an issue.

Im exceptionally pissed off at the dealer. which after i get this vehicle checked, i will be faxing the report to the dealer, and any repairs i have that are not under warrenty, they are paying for. Excellent condition still means something even on the internet.

But i will keep you guys appraised and hopefully, after this, If all gets fixed will be the last unscheduled maintanence visit i need to have. I shall pray

Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

If you want on friday you can stop by.
After all is done.
You might pass us going there.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 AM

ow ow ow ow stop bending my arm, i mean its only a volvo s60 R, you practically have to put a large calibur gun to my head to make me drive my car anywhere. let alone if its on the way or a little out of my way. lol. Sounds cool, might just do that, if i get it back that day. Its going to the one in winter park.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

I am about 3 miles away from them.
We are down minnesota ave. There is a firestone on the corner of 17-92 and minnesota.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:57 PM

Tech, your the man. You were right on with your diagnosis. So here is the low down. I got my car back from the shop, its not fixed.

The front engine torque mount was broken.

The shifter cables need replacing along with a joint and pin thing.(yes as far as im concerned thats the technical name for it)

there is some component in the brakes that is causing the squeaking, and the creaking when you get out of it.

The popping from the exhaust is normal.

Now they did fix the tourque mount and already, i pretty sure i feel a difference in the shifting.

Now the rest of it isnt fixed yet. they had to order the parts, my car has to go back to the shop on tues, for those. They are all luckly covered by the warrenty. The guy at the dealership was very nice and helpfull, albeit they are not as communicative as i had hoped. I told them not to fix anything untill i said so. They did anyway with out telling me.

Now the not so great news. The back tires and wiper blades are needing replaceing. go figure.

I faxed the report to the dealership that sold me the car. I still find most of this very unacceptable. especially since im out a car for like 3 days and i work. They should have know the tires would need replacing and should have told me. Needless to say, imo i think im entitled to the back 2 tires being replaced for my troubles. we will see how far i get with that.

But all in all Tech you were right, I appreciate it very very much. You the man . Sorry i couldnt swing by for a moment, i have been busy with work and no car lol. So i will still keep you guys informed as to what is going on. This post might just someday help someone else

Old 09-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Who did you speak with?
I forgot to tell you to try to see Roland.
If you had Charlie I feel sorry for you!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:21 AM

I saw Dwight Palmer. Hes a very nice guy.

So here is the low down. According to them, everything is fixed. They changed out the shifter cables, torque mount, checked on everything, replaced the squeaky brakes. So my car has a clean bill of health. They even were nice enough to replace my cupholder for free cause it had scratches on the top of it.

However, they didnt fix the creaky suspension, of which last night i pinpointed it. Its the E-Brake. When the car settles and the ebrake is on it creaks. if i just park it and shut off the car and leave it in first, it doesnt creak. so i need to call them back and tell them i found out what that was, but i cant afford to be without my car anymore, so it will have to wait a week or so. Overall i am happy to have my car, and glad all those repairs were covered under warrenty. now i just have to go to war with the dealership that sold me the car.

They washed my car too. It needed it. Wished they vacumed it a little though but oh well. I wont complain.

so i still paid for the $90 inspection and they said everything else was in ship shape. i hope that stays true for a looooong time. Ill still let you know what comes of the ebrake issue, btw has anyone else heard of that issue.

Tech im sorry about letting lunch slip. i would still like to do that at some point.

Btw i also was up in virginia since last tues, had to drive him down to jacksonville with all his stuff. i helped him move. it took three days. but im back and i have my car. I will email the dealership and let you know how that goes. Cause damnit i demand new tires.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Cool most of the stuff is fixed.
When you make the appointment for the E-brake issue tell them you will need a loaner car. It might be an enterprise car but you should atleast get one.
since the car is under warranty you should get a free loaner.