Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Nail in tire - can't fix - new tires needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nail in tire - can't fix - new tires needed

I recently got a nail in the rear ties, a slow leak but it is too close to the sidewall to fix. The tires that are on there are Continental Contiprocontact with about 6/32 tread remaining. They are the tires that came with the car which at purchase in March 2019 had 20,000 miles on it. It was a CPO car and I assume with 20,000 miles on the car, those Continental tires were the original tires (245 - 40 - 18 H rated).

Volvo said I can replace the two tires and that would be ok. I'm accustomed to other AWD cars that you had to replace all four but maybe Volvo is correct because the two front tires do most of the pull. IF I still had a Subaru with their constant AWD I would need to buy 4 new tires.

The dealer gave a quote for Continental but I think I want something with a bit more snow capabilities than performance.

I've run Kuhmo's on the Jags I owned and really liked those tires. Might shop for Kuhmo's.

Just came back from Firestone and they would only quote V rated tires. I explained that I believe that my tires are OEM and they are H rated. The guy said the computer says he must do V rated.

So this raises a question about those tires on the car that I consider to be OEM. If they are not OEM why would anyone have changed tires out at a low mileage? At 6/32 the tires are worn @ half way and that would mean they have been on there for a while.

So are my tires OEM and what are the thoughts about Kuhmo's?

Old 09-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Been thinking about tires for my 2015.5 V60 (FWD) - also a CPO. It's running on Sumitomos - OK but not outstanding. I have almost always used Michelins but they are about $200/ea. Looking at Tire Rack tests, the similar Vredesteins came close for about $120. A discussion with a Tire Rack rep about my usage - ~5k miles/A and Maryland driving (little snow) yielded the opinion that the Vredesteins would be a sensible choice but I have not yet made the switch.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pretorien
Been thinking about tires for my 2015.5 V60 (FWD) - also a CPO. It's running on Sumitomos - OK but not outstanding. I have almost always used Michelins but they are about $200/ea. Looking at Tire Rack tests, the similar Vredesteins came close for about $120. A discussion with a Tire Rack rep about my usage - ~5k miles/A and Maryland driving (little snow) yielded the opinion that the Vredesteins would be a sensible choice but I have not yet made the switch.
In PA and wondering about the snow. When we bought our V50 the tires looked good, they were performance tires but acted like a sled in the snow. At the first snow fall, I went to move the car and went back in the house saying to my wife, you can't drive that car to work. Went out and bought some tires for it but can't remember what they were and I can't look because we sold the car. I have every record except the invoice for the tires but I can tell you that in 2015 the cost was $462.

Hm Vredesteins? This is the first I've heard about them, need to check them out.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the tire sticker on the car, likely in the drivers door opening, to see what the tire size and speed rating is actually supposed to be. Perhaps also check Tire Rack and look up tires under the OEM specs to see what they want to sell. V or something lower?

Ideally in snow areas winter tires for winter and all season tires for the rest of the year.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
Check the tire sticker on the car, likely in the drivers door opening, to see what the tire size and speed rating is actually supposed to be. Perhaps also check Tire Rack and look up tires under the OEM specs to see what they want to sell. V or something lower?

Ideally in snow areas winter tires for winter and all season tires for the rest of the year.
The sticker on the door pillar doesn't give a speed rating. I look in the owners manual and there is no mention of the OEM tires. They have explanations for speed ratings, treadwear rating, etc but nothing that says to use X type of tire.

(95) Load Index
A tire's load index is a measurement of how much weight each tire is designed to support. The larger the number, the higher the load capacity. This is one of the most important numbers on your tire. To find out what "95" means, you have to look it up on a Load-Carrying Capacity Per Tire chart. Ninety-five indicates a maximum weight of 1,521 pounds. Remember that this is per tire, which means you have to multiply by four to get the total capacity for a complete set of tires. If the vehicle has its original tires, you can just refer to the doorjamb, which lists the maximum cargo capacity with passengers.

On my car the door pillar says that the combined weight of passengers and cargo should never exceed 950 pounds.

The dealer quoted tire is for Z speed rating and a maximum load of 1521. Ok is my math correct? Using Edmunds guide for load that would be 1,521 X 4 or 6,084. The car weighs 3960 and then add in the maximum load on the door panel (950) and you get 4,910. Hey I get an extra 1,100 pounds to play with......everyone on the roof.

I live in America and with an H speed rating the definition below just isn't happening on American roads.

(H) Speed Rating
The speed rating is a measurement of the speed at which the tire is designed to run for extended periods. An "H" speed rating signifies that this tire can be run safely at speeds of up to 130 mph for extended periods. Will it explode if it goes to 140? Not immediately. But it might, if it is run at that speed for an extended time.
https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-t...your-tire.html

Old 09-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

You have a few options

1) replace a pair of tires with the same model - reason this works is that modern AWD cars electronically lock the center differential when the wheel speed sensors detect a speed difference (unlike my old Audi Quattro which locked the diff via a console switch :-) ).

2) buy one replacement tire from a shop with a tire shaving service to bring it back within spec of the other tires

3) Go with four new ones. If you live in the north and get snow, you want separate summer and winter tires - the winter tires are all about stopping and steering in the snow, not just to keep you from getting stuck (just ask all those 4x4s in the center median during a snow storm..) When it comes to Kumhos, I have found them to be soft - expect less miles and noisy when they wear. Euro tires generally have a rounded shoulder which lets them track better on the highway (Euro roads have more crown than US so this is noticeable) so Contis score well here. My most recent buy has been General Altimax for my VW CC and found them to be very good in the wet, scored well in snow testing for an all season but again, once they started to wear, they got noisy (in fact my snows are quieter) but they are wearing forever. Since I'm in New England, I run snows from Nov to March and my next summer tires will be to get summer tires or a less agressive all season.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
You have a few options

1) replace a pair of tires with the same model - reason this works is that modern AWD cars electronically lock the center differential when the wheel speed sensors detect a speed difference (unlike my old Audi Quattro which locked the diff via a console switch :-) ).

2) buy one replacement tire from a shop with a tire shaving service to bring it back within spec of the other tires

3) Go with four new ones. If you live in the north and get snow, you want separate sumhttps://www.nexentireusa.com/app/default/files-module/local/documents/10125-18 NEXEN 2019 Product Showcase_OE Pages Only.pdfmer and winter tires - the winter tires are all about stopping and steering in the snow, not just to keep you from getting stuck (just ask all those 4x4s in the center median during a snow storm..) When it comes to Kumhos, I have found them to be soft - expect less miles and noisy when they wear. Euro tires generally have a rounded shoulder which lets them track better on the highway (Euro roads have more crown than US so this is noticeable) so Contis score well here. My most recent buy has been General Altimax for my VW CC and found them to be very good in the wet, scored well in snow testing for an all season but again, once they started to wear, they got noisy (in fact my snows are quieter) but they are wearing forever. Since I'm in New England, I run snows from Nov to March and my next summer tires will be to get summer tires or a less agressive all season.
I'm going with a tire brand that I ran on my Caddie Coup De Ville Concours. That was a big car. They were good in summer, in winter, they were quiet and wore well. If I don't like them, I'll change them. I've been known to toss low mileage tires that I don't like.

This is not the model tire that was on the Caddie but is one that came out in 2016.

I'm going with four new ones.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/nexen...z-ah8-reviews/

https://www.nexentireusa.com/why-nexen

Old 09-30-2019, 07:04 PM

My wife is on her 2nd set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires which have performed very well in our very snowy upstate New York region. The ExtremeContact DWS are not like the other Contis and are designed for maximum traction but they do carry the all-season designation. Her car is the S60 and we moved from the original 40R to the 235/45R 18. The slightly larger (more rubber) sidewall not only provides a more forgiving ride, it fills out the wheel-well with a more aesthetically pleasing look. Volvo actually went to the 45R 18 tire for this vehicle in the last few years. Did however notice about a 2.5 mph difference in the speedo at higher speeds which cannot be software adjusted however this has not really created any problem for her.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by rickwol
My wife is on her 2nd set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires which have performed very well in our very snowy upstate New York region. The ExtremeContact DWS are not like the other Contis and are designed for maximum traction but they do carry the all-season designation. Her car is the S60 and we moved from the original 40R to the 235/45R 18. The slightly larger (more rubber) sidewall not only provides a more forgiving ride, it fills out the wheel-well with a more aesthetically pleasing look. Volvo actually went to the 45R 18 tire for this vehicle in the last few years. Did however notice about a 2.5 mph difference in the speedo at higher speeds which cannot be software adjusted however this has not really created any problem for her.
Sounds like that is a good tire for winter snow.

Was that 2.5 MPH difference a minus or plus? A minus won't get me a speeding ticket but 2.5 added to the safe amount over posted could get me a speeding ticket. I normally travel with the flow but there are times I am left like the lone wildebeest outside of the pack, all alone and vulnerable.

In PA we don't get the kind of snow you get in upstate New York. Which is a good thing for my wife who is a California native. I grew up in snow but I must admit that I would even have a hard time with Buffalo NY winters.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:33 AM

The overall diameter variance adds that 2.5 mph at 70 mph, so basically 72.5 when traveling at 70mph. That is where we keep it at when traveling on 65mph roads which is what you would also encounter in PA and we have never been pulled over anywhere and we've gone through many a speed trap. At slower speeds the variance is even less. The difference in ride quality with the 45R vs 40R, especially over rougher roads is very noticeable. The ExtremeContact DWS06 are also very quiet, similar to the Michelins we run on another vehicle with slightly less tread wear at a slightly lower cost per tire. Very happy.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rickwol
The overall diameter variance adds that 2.5 mph at 70 mph, so basically 72.5 when traveling at 70mph. That is where we keep it at when traveling on 65mph roads which is what you would also encounter in PA and we have never been pulled over anywhere and we've gone through many a speed trap. At slower speeds the variance is even less. The difference in ride quality with the 45R vs 40R, especially over rougher roads is very noticeable. The ExtremeContact DWS06 are also very quiet, similar to the Michelins we run on another vehicle with slightly less tread wear at a slightly lower cost per tire. Very happy.
Oh man I wish I would have seen this before ordering and setting a time to have the new tires installed. I would have added that extra height because I find the 40 to be a hard ride. IF you know anything about PA roads, they are known to be badly repaired roads. With the 40's I feel like I am riding on concrete tires.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

You can avoid the speedo error by going to a slightly narrower tire - a 215/45-18 will swap out for a 235/40-18 with the same rolling circumference. Its not uncommon for snows to be narrower and taller vs summers to get better bite through deep snow. Another option is to drop down to a 17 inch rim. Check out wheel-size.com to see various OEM configurations for your make/year.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:49 AM

A lot of good suggestions here and I'm going to bookmark for next time. IF I don't like the Nexen tires, I should but just in case, I now have options.

I think my first option would be to drop down to a 17 inch wheel so that I can get a different tires that has more air between me and the road.