Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to me s60 2.5T - any ideas where to start for improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me s60 2.5T - any ideas where to start for improvement?

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and to Volvo, and I've just started driving a 2005 S60 2.5T that I picked up from a relative after ditching my Jeep Grand Cherokee for something a little more performance oriented. I'm basically an amateur when it comes to aftermarket mods, and I dont plan to hold on to it for a super long time as i'm trying to save up for something with a manual gearbox, but I'd like to have a little fun with it while I wait. What are people's suggestions as far as making some performance mods to the s60? It's got about 90k miles on it, but it was gently driven and mostly on the highway.
Thanks for your input.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest that you start by taking a look at the timing belt, volvo recommends that they be changed @ 105,000.....I would check and see what condition the current belt is in if it has any cracks... If it does replace it ASAP! In fact I would probably change it out now to be on the safe side along with the tensioner and Idler pulley to ensure that you don't have any problems down the road...you don't want to chance the belt going on you....cause if it does it will be costly and damage the motor, this is by first and farmost the most important thing to do before you spend money to modify the car. You can pick the timing belt kit up from the site sponser fcpgroton genuine volvo parts for $129.99 less 10% for being a member and mentioning this forum as well as free shipping over a certain $ amount....here is the link: http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...872/by_year/55 after you change out the belt then I could do any and all mods that you would like to, but please make sure to protect your investment and change out the timing belt.....it's about due for a change anyways!!!!! good luck and enjoy(which I know you will) your new car

Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the tip! I was gonna try to change out the oil with synthetic sometime this week so I'll take a look at the belt while I'm at it. I'll probably end up ordering a new one anyway because, like you said, it's about time, so thanks for the link as well.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Note, that is not a job to do "by ear" as you can see on this site several bits of instruction about the need to keep the cams in alignment. There is a "sticky" either under S60 or V70 (same thing from B pillar forward, basically) which you may wish to view first. There isn't too much room at the right front of the engine bay as you can see.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 PM

I have a 03 S60 AWD 2.5T 104,000 and over that last 2 years. I found IPD great company www.ipdusa.com .Did my Turbo Boost couplings,Turbo control valve,All new Blue Vac lines.Then after that really started to look at the things that make a difference in Power.I went with the OBX R Exhaust because i have an AWD like U so it fits $425 shipped.Picked up a 04 R downpipe much bigger than our stock one.That was not enough so ordered the OBX 3" catless downpipe with a 45' o2 spacer so no check engine light.All This added about 20hp or so but car sounds great and has the added pick up i was looking for.Now i just ordered a Autotech/Elevate tune for my car.This will buy far make the biggest difference in every way. Now with just the Tune and no other parts but all stock its + 49 HP.Take a look at http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...BUY-Part-Duece! This a Great deal Right now only $650 thats $300 + less than all other companys. For the money out weighs all other options BUY FAR. If you can swimg the $$ this is well worth the cash.These cars have a lot of hidden power thats locked away by Volvo.It just needs to be unleashed Buy you.Mosy if not all "upgrades" are bolt on and from a company like IPD comes with written directions to do most things.The above forums has more guys that have Mod their S60 so take a look threw the forums.Here are some other Great companys to look at
www.ipdusa
www.eurosporttuning
www.elevatecars.com
www.vivaperformance.com
All great companys and for stock parts best price on most things www.fcpgroton.com
GL with the car.They can be a lot of fun to drive with a little wrench time and some short $$

Last edited by MYS6T; 11-08-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM

May I also add that b4 doing your mods, change/replace all serviceable fluids esp. your atf if they haven't been done yet. That is a must besides the timing belt. Trannys could cost $4K+ and that could blow a big hole in your pocket. Check your brake pads, and replace fuel and air filters, spark plugs if not yet done. Bring your car to Stage 0 before everything else then enjoy the ride. You'll be pleased by the ride esp. if its trouble free.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:41 PM

thanks for all the advice everyone, i just had the car serviced and all the fluids and brake pads changed out today.

i'm dealing with an airbag issue right now that's gonna be pricey (i've got another thread up on that if anyone has any advice) so its gonna be a little bit before i can move on any mods, esp with the timing belt replacement and a new set of tires coming up as well.

once i can get that all squared away though, my best friend is way into the Subaru tuning scene so he's gonna help me get it totally up to stage 0 before we start with any modding. once it's there, where's the best place to start working? should i start with the exhaust or wait on that until after a software tune? or is it just a matter of preference?

thanks again for the help! (and patience haha)