Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

New owner and need help.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner and need help.....

Well, my first experience with Volvo is a horrible one. Just bought a 2004 S60 with 86k and first day it broke down. Obviously bought it used but the sucker drove beautifully, smooth ride and quiet engine, basically perfect as far as running goes. Filled it up with super unleaded since it was empty, got an oil change, then ran it through a laser carwash. Later that day took it for a spin and stopped at a stoplight, then took off but had no throttle response. It was just putting and wouldn't go faster than 5-10 mph so I putted into a gas station and turned it off, then it wouldn't turn back on. It seems like it's not getting gas b/c it tries to start but won't hold rpm and just dies. Then this is what is really weird, the driver side headlight wiper starts making this loud noise like it's trying to wipe the headlights and it bent towards the bumper and is just stuck making an annoying noise. So it won't start and the headlight wiper makes this noise. What in the heck happened? Please any help is appreciated so reply away!

By the way, I had it towed back to the dealer that sold it and he's gonna check it out. It's a family friend so I do have the option of just giving back the car and getting something else but I got a steal on the car and it is in great condition. I really wanna keep it so I still would like to hear you guys opinions on if these cars are reliable and what you think could cause what I described above. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM

I have no idea what could be the problem with your vehicle............wonder if the water from the car wash messed up something electrical. Overall, I think the S60 vehicles are great and we've had no problems with ours except having to replace the power steering pump and alternator which I did myself.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 PM

That's what I was thinking too but here's what we think happened. Today the dealer started the car up and pushed the gas pedal to the floor which pushed through whatever was causing the hesitation. We think since it was bone dry and I filled it up with gas then the old gas or stuff in the tank may have wahsed up and clogged the fuel filter then it finally got unclogged. What do you guys think?
As for the headlight wiper, it's the motor going out so it just so happened that these 2 problems occurred about the same time. All I did was take out the fuse for the headlight wiper and problem solved there. I may get a new motor for it in the future.
Overall, now the car is back to what it was and is driving good. Do you think I should stick it through and keep the car? I have til tomorrow to drive it and make up my mind so need some opinions, thanks again.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel filter was my first guess too

Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
JP

Being an '04 I'd probably keep it since a great deal of the "new model bugs" were worked out by then. Does it have a clean history?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 PM

Well I'm not sure if the car has been wrecked or not but I had volvo check the VIN and the old owner was keeping up with the car and taking it to the dealership for service. Nothing serious was ever done to the car, just some software updates and regular maintenance. I really wanna keep the car but I can't afford the repair prices that volvo charges. Have a mechanic on the side but some of those computer related issues out there are dealer specific so it's a tricky decision for me. Are there lots of electrical/computer problems going around with these cars?
Also, do you suggest I look into getting fuel filter replaced after what happened above? I've also been thinking about draining/refill tranny fluid.
Lots of questions, I know, but just trying to use you all's knowledge about these cars before I make this decision. Thanks for the help.